Why no drain in the rear differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason the rear differential doesn't have a drain plug? I know the fluid doesn't need to be changed as often as the engine oil, but taking the cover off every time seems like a pain.

I'd like to replace my cover with one that has a drain plug but I'm not really willing to spend the $$$ to get a nice fancy aluminum cover. I found another post that said Summit sells one with drain for $25ish but I can't find it on their site when I put in my Yukon info. Any leads on an quality affordable cover would be appreciated.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most vehicles do not have them. I assume you would would want to inspect and clean before refilling.

OP
OP
B

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '93 4Runner had a drain and a fill. I guess I assumed it would be as easy for the Yukon :-(

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Most vehicles do not have them. I assume you would would want to inspect and clean before refilling.

Wouldn't that same logic apply to any component that required fluid maintenance? Engine oil pan, transfer case, yada, yada?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that same logic apply to any component that required fluid maintenance? Engine oil pan, transfer case, yada, yada?

Not really. Gears usually go before engine or transfer case do. Anytime you take it to a mechanic for a "weird noise" from the drivetrain, they will pull the diff covers before they pull a valve cover.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be lazy. remove all but the top 2 bolts, then loosen them slightly and pop the cover lose. then back out the top 2 blots to drain the oil. it will act like a hinge. finish draining the oil, remove the last 2 bolts. Clean and inspect the gears and wash out with a good spray cleaner.

97Tahoe2d4x

Reaction score
Only time you find drain plug on a rear end is if it has no cover where access to diff carrier is by unbolting the entire diff assembly from rest of the axle housing. Mopar 8 3/4" or Ford 9" are such axles and IIRC, Toyota rears are like that.

Like livingez said, it's no big deal. At least this gives you a chance to inspect the gears and what not without unbolting the carrier assembly......

Oh, I'd stay away from cheap rear cover

Peace

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation; that helps me understand it a bit more.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mag-Hytec covers are some of the best. Dip stick, a drain plug and 1/8npt for the temp sender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins