Why 2 different lifter trays?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lightflyer1

Reaction score
New here and just bought a 2007 Tahoe LT 5.3. Collapsed lifter it seems and getting ready to redo the top end. Wondering why there are 2 different part numbers for the lifter trays. Tried a search but couldn't come up with a good search string for this question. Haven't found it discussed any where yet. How do I know which part number goes where of the two? Thanks! Trying to get up to speed on this through here (forums) and YouTube.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New here and just bought a 2007 Tahoe LT 5.3. Collapsed lifter it seems and getting ready to redo the top end. Wondering why there are 2 different part numbers for the lifter trays. Tried a search but couldn't come up with a good search string for this question. Haven't found it discussed any where yet. How do I know which part number goes where of the two? Thanks! Trying to get up to speed on this through here (forums) and YouTube.

Look at this pic where the lifters go:

F38058292.jpg

See those notches above cylinders #4 and #6? You'll need two of each style of tray. The block is a mirror image of the other side, so you'll use one of each tray on each side of the block. One style of tray will go at the right front and left rear. The other will go at the left front and right rear.

OP
OP
L

lightflyer1

Reaction score
Look at this pic where the lifters go:

View attachment 398400

See those notches above cylinders #4 and #6? You'll need two of each style of tray. The block is a mirror image of the other side, so you'll use one of each tray on each side of the block. One style of tray will go at the right front and left rear. The other will go at the left front and right rear.
Thank you! That is exactly the explanation I was hoping and expecting. Just didn't want to learn while doing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I know which part number goes where of the two?
Just didn't want to learn while doing.

Ain't nuttin' to it. You'll figure out how they go.

Did you ever play with one of these as a toddler?
il_794xN.4910260651_qgcr.jpg

Yeah? It was to prepare you for this very moment. You have arrived. Own it. Godspeed, young Padawan.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to this extent. I generally try not to go inside.

Inside an engine? Lucky you, the LS is one of the best to learn on, IMO. Just adhere to a few key points such as oil pan and front and rear cover alignments and torque-to-yield specs. The rest is pretty straightforward. You're in a good place for help here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9