Who paid Onstar or is it worth it Or 4g service Is it worth it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have SiriusXM in both of our cars and like @Bob2C I call them every 6 months to cancel or get the $5 a month deal. I tried OnStar a couple times in different years of vehicles. I didn't find it useful enough to justify the cost.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have On-Star, don't have Sirius/XM, and have not paid to have on-board GPS updated. These are a total waste of money, IMHO. Via a smart phone and Bluetooth, Pandora (or your own playlist) is the better radio, and it's free. As for the GPS, Google Maps is far, far superior for navigation. The on-board GPS is junk by comparison. Total, useless junk. I don't think GM could give it away if it was optional. They force us to take it as a part of trim levels.

On-Star? Not for me. I'll rely on my cell phone. There are pockets of the country with no cell service, but I'll risk it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WiFi is good - I prefer it to tethering tablets to my phone. I have an 8 gig limit on my phone plan for the 4 of us (great excuse to curtail kids usage), but wifi is limitless in burb. It still costs less than going unlimited on all lines, plus it works in the boonies...

Liked having XM on last road trip, but I can stream web music services over the wifi, so I wont be renewing it...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Scooty

Reaction score
This year I was returning from Missouri to Kansas and ran into flooded highways . I contacted Onstar and told the them of the problem. They kept routing me down dirt roads bringing me back to the same hiway that was flooded. . My garmin brought me home...dropped Onstar the next day.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep On Star after the trial for two reasons: telematics to locate the vehicle if it is stolen and if I am in a serious collision. Ford has a similar system that uses your cell phone. Last year, we were t-***** in my wife’s Fusion and the car automatically called 911 when the airbags deployed and gave the vehicle location.

I have also been dispatched to motor vehicle collisions based upon On Star information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd