Who paid Onstar or is it worth it Or 4g service Is it worth it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No Tyme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The one time I needed OnStar to open my door, on a raining night in which I injured my knee on the job they refused. After calling the next day to complain I was told the recording was reviewed and I was correct, and for my inconvenience they offered to extend my OnStar for 1 month. The Nav doesn't tell you about road closures like my Garmin.
Not another penny will they see from me.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think that? I’m serious, don’t understand. I’ve used Toyota, Lexus, and BMW systems and all are way way inferior to Onstar. Last year I even got a letter from BMW stating that their system was being overhauled and my 2013 BMW would no longer be able to connect to their “new” service. They sunsetted a system that was in a 4 year old car!! That tells me they don’t have their act together. Lexus and Toyota are bad too, in my experience.

On the other hand, Onstar has been a first class experience for me. It’s actually one of the reasons I like buying GM vehicles. Maybe Onstar will be overtaken one day, maybe it already has and I just don’t have experience with the other brand that is better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you like about it?

I ONLY pay for it because I travel frequently in bad conditions on rural roads with my family and like the reassurance that it brings. Hotspot is meh (if the yukon had an ‘always on’ power outlet I’d just plug a real hotspot into it).

The app is a nice perk but you can use that at no charge anyway.

The price they charge is ridiculously high for what you get IMO.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer GT, the why for me is simple. I travel with an internet jet pack ($10 per month) iPhone and IPad at all times to client meetings. Real time traffic through my Apple gadgets plugged right into my CarPlay. On my screen, no need to “download directions and send to my car” from an Onstar Rep who I have to spell and respell my destination to several times. And the $10 per month added to my wireless service for unlimited data on the jet pack, makes Onstar’s expensive 4G completely useless.
Maybe it’s just me, but onstar doesn’t “wow” me.

Lol. Totally forgot they even had that useless navigation piece. Much easier to just say “hey Siri, directions to the closest pizza place”

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a T-Mobile data account with a sim card that can be slapped in a hotspot or a tablet, I just keep it in the console with a hotspot and the kids use it for there tablets, cost me about $30 a month (auto pay) then I don't have to screw around with turning on my hotspot on my phone every time I get in and out, it's just convenience and it works consistently.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Features on my 2016 Tahoe LTZ that I have absolutely no use for whatsoever:

- Onstar (may change my mind if I ever have an emergency and no cell service)

- Factory navigation (Google Maps instead; OEM nav is worse than worthless in comparison)

- Sirius/XM (Pandora instead)

- OEM bluetooth phone (use my smartphone in hands-free mode instead)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently under my 3 month trial period which ends soon. I was going to cancel because the price is way too high. I called and spoke with the loyalty department and she was pushing for me just to keep the basic which controls the door locks and auto start. I know their basic price is 14.99/month but the agent offered it to me for 9.99/month. So I have some time to decide at this point. I have a feeling they are retaining people after the trial and have lowered the price if you want to cancel. Just throwing this out there for anyone on the fence.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently under my 3 month trial period which ends soon. I was going to cancel because the price is way too high. I called and spoke with the loyalty department and she was pushing for me just to keep the basic which controls the door locks and auto start. I know their basic price is 14.99/month but the agent offered it to me for 9.99/month. So I have some time to decide at this point. I have a feeling they are retaining people after the trial and have lowered the price if you want to cancel. Just throwing this out there for anyone on the fence.
No reason to cancel...it just stops after the 3-month trial period.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was more to see what they would offer to retain me, like I do with Sirius every 6 months to get the special for 5 bucks a month. Been doing that for 6 years with my other cars. I’ll probably just let it expire. I gave them a prepaid MasterCard in order to get the 3 months. No way I was giving them my credit card after hearing complaints about customers not being able to cancel and being charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering who gotten any of the onstar plans to know. So many plans onstAr I was wondering if anyone has any or the apps. New to this wanna know your thoughts . As we get older we think different when we have family is it worth cause they seem expensive and priced out in different pieces. Seem like buying a box of pizza and being charged per slice in the box instead whole thing ..feel they break it up to see spend more On packages when it all should be one for one low price does anyone ever sign up for this is it worth it
I have both services (as well as Sirius XM with traffic and weather) and appreciate the connectivity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442