Who can identify this mystery black box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
So I'm working with a 2006 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L Vortec V8

My Yukon got absolutely pummeled in the rear driver side quarter panel so a couple weeks back I began completely disassembling and rebuilding the vehicle, in that process the fuel filler neck needs to be replaced, and the new quarter panel that I got from the scrapyard came with it, but it appears to have a mysterious little black box with a hose coming off of it that I don't remember seeing on the last one and that my local dealership has no idea how to identify.

I can't find where to put the hose or if I even need to, the dealership has confirmed that it's a flex fuel model, and it says not to use additives with e85 on the fuel door so I was assuming it was already.

Coming off of the fuel filler neck I have the vent tube, the filler neck tube itself, and the vent line coming from the rear differential case, there is a line coming off of the new little black box that appears to be unsevered from the scrap yard but again I can't find any place to hook it onto or to route the hose and I don't remember it being on the old one.

the fuel filler neck seem to have a discrepancy in the numbers on them as well despite being manufactured within six months of one another, the old one has the number 15289911 the new one is 15225015. I can't find any info on the internet for those numbers or the names on them.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

1597338794005910057112263575549.jpg 15973388360738670672527313904848.jpg 15973388538487223700558186134443.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Someone will chime in because I don't know what that is except that it likely is part of the evap system.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Yukon got absolutely pummeled in the rear driver side quarter panel so a couple weeks back I began completely disassembling and rebuilding the vehicle, in that process the fuel filler neck needs to be replaced, and the new quarter panel that I got from the scrapyard came with it, but it appears to have a mysterious little black box with a hose coming off of it that I don't remember seeing on the last one and that my local dealership has no idea how to identify.

I can't find where to put the hose or if I even need to, the dealership has confirmed that it's a flex fuel model, and it says not to use additives with e85 on the fuel door so I was assuming it was already.

Coming off of the fuel filler neck I have the vent tube, the filler neck tube itself, and the vent line coming from the rear differential case, there is a line coming off of the new little black box that appears to be unsevered from the scrap yard but again I can't find any place to hook it onto or to route the hose and I don't remember it being on the old one.

the fuel filler neck seem to have a discrepancy in the numbers on them as well despite being manufactured within six months of one another, the old one has the number 15289911 the new one is 15225015. I can't find any info on the internet for those numbers or the names on them.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

View attachment 254789 View attachment 254790 View attachment 254791

Not familiar with that Ryan but could one of the trucks have been FlexFuel and the other straight gas? Have a look with the VIN over here: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

OP
OP
R

Ryan Casey

Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...it appears to have a mysterious little black box with a hose coming off of it that I don't remember seeing on the last one and that my local dealership has no idea how to identify.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

That filler spout came from a vehicle with Automatic Level Control (ALC) and that's the air inlet hose for the compressor. GM part number 22197160. The black box on the end is like a dust and moisture separator. It's tucked way up there with the fuel filler to keep it away from dirt and water.

Found pics on this site: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052488-6277.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
That filler spout came from a vehicle with Automatic Level Control (ALC) and that's the air inlet hose for the compressor. GM part number 22197160. The black box on the end is like a dust and moisture separator. It's tucked way up there with the fuel filler to keep it away from dirt and water.

Found pics on this site: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052488-6277.pdf

Thanks for your help, I would assume I don't need it then? Rather strange as it came off an identical year make and model vehicle. I guess I'm not super familiar with what the system you are referencing does or why it is on only certain models.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help! This forum is amazing and filled with cool people!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I would assume I don't need it then? Rather strange as it came off an identical year make and model vehicle. I guess I'm not super familiar with what the system you are referencing does or why it is on only certain models.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help! This forum is amazing and filled with cool people!
certain trim levels come with extra features that others dont. same brand make and year doesn't mean everything is the same. alc system as mentioned above is designed to adjust the suspension system height to help keep the vehicle leveled for heavy loads or towing. something like that im not overly familiar with it myself besides its an extra part that has regular problems and is also regularly bypassed.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I would assume I don't need it then?

You don't need it. Pluck it off of the spout and toss it in the trash.

Rather strange as it came off an identical year make and model vehicle. I guess I'm not super familiar with what the system you are referencing does or why it is on only certain models.

ALC was an optional feature. Standard on the higher trim levels, but even then could be ordered without it.

I guess I'm not super familiar with what the system you are referencing does or why it is on only certain models.

ALC is a rear suspension feature that uses an air compressor to inflate sleeve style air bags built onto the shock absorbers to lift the rear back to a level position when loaded down, either with cargo or trailer tongue weight on the hitch.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help!

Happy to be of service!

This forum is amazing and filled with cool people!

Meh. It's alright. :D

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

some hoses are vents these
fuel vapors get sucked up by the pump it self

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak