Whippled built 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nrmeyer2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! As previously mentioned if it's an early model 2015 you definitely have the 6l80 6 speed transmission. If you're pulling the engine out and building a 6.2 L86 for boost I would without a doubt set aside some of your budget for a built 6l80e transmission, especially if it too has 140K miles on it.

These guys have had great success with their transmission builds: 6L80E TKR Transmission – TK Performance & Auto (tkperformanceandauto.com)

I would talk to TK Performance (or any transmission builder you choose) about what type of torque converter they recommend for you're intended use. Personally I would stay away from much higher stalls than the stock RPM especially if you're building this for everyday use. Our rigs are pretty heavy and vehicle weight can play a big role on the affects of a torque converter and transmission build. Keep in mind most builders who are rating their GM transmissions for 600HP or 750HP are probably making those estimates based on their transmissions living in Camaros, Corvettes, CTS-V's, etc; Yukon XL Denali's weigh an additional 1,500-1,800 lbs. which affects the power rating of a transmission build significantly.

Are you rebuilding the heads as well?
Using the stock throttle body or going larger?
Long Tube headers and exhaust on the list?

Should be a fun build!
Appreciate the feedback. I was already looking at TK transmissions. Good to see there has been some positive experience with them. I will probably go with a stage 3 from them. For sure upgraded converter. I haven't "built" many auto vehicles, mainly just high HP stick cars. I wondered how high stall i would go with. I will keep researching and get a converter ordered.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I was already looking at TK transmissions. Good to see there has been some positive experience with them. I will probably go with a stage 3 from them. For sure upgraded converter. I haven't "built" many auto vehicles, mainly just high HP stick cars. I wondered how high stall i would go with. I will keep researching and get a converter ordered.

call up PATC https://transmissioncenter.net/ and talk to them about converters. Explain what you plan to do with the vehicle and what power you plan to make etc. They can help work out a good stall and depending on the converter they offer a free restall if need be. They are knowledgeable on converters and have no problem answering questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972