Whippled built 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nrmeyer2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s good to see a forum that’s still active these days. I’m getting ready to build a 2015 Denali XL. Truck has been in family since 30,000 miles. For unknown reason it had an engine failure at 140k. Pulling the motor next week and having a 6.2 built. Have already ordered whipple. This truck has the 4l80e. Not sure if that helps the build or hurts it. Anyway, wanted to say hello and open to feedback or suggestions on the build. Big Bertha coming soon.

B5C0E41C-A03E-4522-9FE2-92F2831A48D6.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It’s good to see a forum that’s still active these days. I’m getting ready to build a 2015 Denali XL. Truck has been in family since 30,000 miles. For unknown reason it had an engine failure at 140k. Pulling the motor next week and having a 6.2 built. Have already ordered whipple. This truck has the 4l80e. Not sure if that helps the build or hurts it. Anyway, wanted to say hello and open to feedback or suggestions on the build. Big Bertha coming soon.

View attachment 266234
Welcome from NJ. The 4l80 should hold up to the supercharged 6.2 ok. You def should beef it up tho--just to be sure. You should start an "Under Construction" build thread. We love build threads around here :D
Yo

OP
OP
N

nrmeyer2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. The 4l80 should hold up to the supercharged 6.2 ok. You def should beef it up tho--just to be sure. You should start an "Under Construction" build thread. We love build threads around here :D
Yo
Thanks for the feedback. Figured a converter at minimum. Researching fuel systems as well. Once I take the motor out I’ll start a thread

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its a 2015, you should have a 6l80 trans ;)
at that mileage, you might as well get new plug wires & spark plugs. (go 1 step colder, so zl1 or zr1 plugs)

if you arent planning on going e85 or crazy on power... your existing fuel system will tied you over for a bit.

what are your HP/TQ plans?
if you are building up a 6.2, will you do DoD delete, what about cam?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As previously mentioned if it's an early model 2015 you definitely have the 6l80 6 speed transmission. If you're pulling the engine out and building a 6.2 L86 for boost I would without a doubt set aside some of your budget for a built 6l80e transmission, especially if it too has 140K miles on it.

These guys have had great success with their transmission builds: 6L80E TKR Transmission – TK Performance & Auto (tkperformanceandauto.com)

I would talk to TK Performance (or any transmission builder you choose) about what type of torque converter they recommend for you're intended use. Personally I would stay away from much higher stalls than the stock RPM especially if you're building this for everyday use. Our rigs are pretty heavy and vehicle weight can play a big role on the affects of a torque converter and transmission build. Keep in mind most builders who are rating their GM transmissions for 600HP or 750HP are probably making those estimates based on their transmissions living in Camaros, Corvettes, CTS-V's, etc; Yukon XL Denali's weigh an additional 1,500-1,800 lbs. which affects the power rating of a transmission build significantly.

Are you rebuilding the heads as well?
Using the stock throttle body or going larger?
Long Tube headers and exhaust on the list?

Should be a fun build!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. We’ll be watching for lots of tire smoke in the future.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You've come to the right place, as several folks here are using superchargers. You will definitely benefit from their experiences.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 266234
I just wanted to post up a vid about a dod/afm failure. Not sure if you're familiar with it.
It gives a simple explanation of how it works along with the failure at around 5 mins.

Last edited:

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As previously mentioned if it's an early model 2015 you definitely have the 6l80 6 speed transmission. If you're pulling the engine out and building a 6.2 L86 for boost I would without a doubt set aside some of your budget for a built 6l80e transmission, especially if it too has 140K miles on it.

These guys have had great success with their transmission builds: 6L80E TKR Transmission – TK Performance & Auto (tkperformanceandauto.com)

I would talk to TK Performance (or any transmission builder you choose) about what type of torque converter they recommend for you're intended use. Personally I would stay away from much higher stalls than the stock RPM especially if you're building this for everyday use. Our rigs are pretty heavy and vehicle weight can play a big role on the affects of a torque converter and transmission build. Keep in mind most builders who are rating their GM transmissions for 600HP or 750HP are probably making those estimates based on their transmissions living in Camaros, Corvettes, CTS-V's, etc; Yukon XL Denali's weigh an additional 1,500-1,800 lbs. which affects the power rating of a transmission build significantly.

Are you rebuilding the heads as well?
Using the stock throttle body or going larger?
Long Tube headers and exhaust on the list?

Should be a fun build!

I give a HEAVY 2nd to TK performance. My transmission in my 2016 was built by Tim and his guys. Their HP estimates are for sure based on a car not a heavy truck or SUV but they can give a rough estimate of how much in can hold in a heavy vehicle. Their price is very fair and they are easy to reach by phone for questions and communication. I am at 20k on my level 3 build with 0 issues. I run a PATC converter with a 2k RPM stall and a blackbear tune. The PATC converter is great. It is a 10 inch billet converter and they build them to order all hand tig welded. I got their strongest option with 4 carbon fiber clutches in it. It has given 0 issues as well and it comes with a free restall if need be later on. I have towed 11k pounds with this setup on occasion and barely break 200 degrees trans temp. Unloaded I usually stay around 180 and hit 190 when being rough. I still have the thermostat in the cooler lines as well. A stock 6l80 isnt going to hold behind too much more power over stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts