Whipple Supercharger eating belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charged Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have had my '95 for a couple years now and it always eats belts every couple months. I have taken it to 4 different mechanics. Even a hot rod shop. Apparently it is a common problem with this first gen charger and Whipple is well aware of it. I am looking to see if anybody has made a new bracket for the tensioner so the belt doesnt rub the tensioner. Basically, the speed shop guy said I need to find somebody to fabricate a bracket to allow the tensioner to go in further so the belt doesnt rub. Its not a belt alignment issue, I have explored that option to death. I use the gates HD belt, green.

Let me know, would love to make this truck more reliable.!!!!

-T

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99.9% of the time it is an alignment issue that's the only time I've throw a belt with my magnusson setup. However if something is rubbing the belt then of course it will shred them more often.

Post pics please.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics would def. help , as mentioned above

so alignment was checked w/ laser?

also other issue is fixed tensioner. one w/ spring tension that can adjust itself would be better.

iCajun

Reaction score
I ran one on my 1988 454 for about 20 years and never had belt issues. Any chance the belt idler pulley bearings are worn out?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a spacer behind the tensioner mounting or grind the surface down depending on which way it needs to go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins