Whine/drone in drivetrain - 2018 6.2L/10-speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Looking for ideas from those on here who are far more mechanical than I am.

Vehicle: 2018 Yukon XL, 6.2L, 10-speed, 45K miles, 4x4.

Issue: I have a 'drone' or 'whine' noise that is incredibly annoying. It starts between 65-70 mph and gets louder from there on up. Unfortunately I've tried to record it, but it's really hard to determine the drone vs. road noise in the recording, so not much use. In addition to the noise, I can also 'feel' it in the floor once is starts.

I run it in 2WD unless it's snowing, so at first I thought it might be stuck in Auto 4WD. My dad has a 2018 Escalade ESV that that happened to. However, I would notice the hop turning corners at slow speeds on dry roads, and it acts completely normal below 65, so I've ruled that out.

I did switch tire brands but it was doing it before and after, so rule that out.

Here's the weird part: Say you're cruising at 75mph, on a left hand curve in the road, the noise will stop completely. Roll the wheel back straight, or to the right, the noise is constant.

I took it to the Dealer, who recommended and completed a flush and fill on the transmission. I asked them to test drive it, but their techs won't exceed the speed limit understandably, so on the roads around them they wouldn't have really heard what I hear. 5 minutes after I left the dealership, I told them it was no different. They said to drive it for a 100 miles and then report back. I've driven over 1,000 now, and no change, so we can rule out fluid.

I'm leaning toward a drivetrain issue due to being able to feel it, not just hear it. I thought it might have something to do with misfunctioning active shutters and just be a wind noise, but I don't think I'd feel that in the floor.

Okay pros, where would you start, or what would you tell the dealer to check?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2