"While I'm in there" pickup tube hoobla

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped the cam in my old lm7 Silverado I just did it old school style and had no idea there were all these special tools lol. Worked fine till hail took it away from me. Still miss that truck.

Now I’ve got this afm, vvt fancy 5.3 with like 40hp more from the factory and was looking into doing a double roller timing chain setup and other stuff and finding they just don’t make it for vvt single bolt cams. Oh well. I’ll probably pick up one of these tools though

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I’ve got this afm, vvt fancy 5.3 with like 40hp more from the factory and was looking into doing a double roller timing chain setup and other stuff and finding they just don’t make it for vvt single bolt cams. Oh well. I’ll probably pick up one of these tools though

Are you saying that you have an aftermarket VVT/AFM camshaft for your truck to install? The stock chains are plenty strong and good for 200K miles.

It is common and usually necessary when deleting AFM to use Gen III style camshafts and timing gear.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that you have an aftermarket VVT/AFM camshaft for your truck to install? The stock chains are plenty strong and good for 200K miles.

It is common and usually necessary when deleting AFM to use Gen III style camshafts and timing gear.
I have a vvt (no afm) cam from TSP to install. The guy I talked to there basically told me the stock gearset and chain are perfectly fine as well as the oil pump. Just change the o-ring out and I’m gtg

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one you linked is the one to get. I bought the entire kit with all three. The. back plate one works great too. I wouldn't waste my time with the front one designed to align with the seal. It's pointless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Going to order up parts next week

I'm flip flopping back and forth on the timing chain. The procedure shows a couple pulling and pressing tools to get the sprockets off. I don't have the stuff laying around to fabricobble the appropriate bits together. So where I'm at now is this: Are these things tight enough to need a puller? Or can they be removed by hand? Any need for a cam holding tool on these engines?

Also: Is there a spec for timing chain slack?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm flip flopping back and forth on the timing chain. The procedure shows a couple pulling and pressing tools to get the sprockets off. I don't have the stuff laying around to fabricobble the appropriate bits together. So where I'm at now is this: Are these things tight enough to need a puller? Or can they be removed by hand? Any need for a cam holding tool on these engines?

The crank sprocket/oil pump cog slides off. I've never removed the cam sprocket on a GenIV, so I can't comment much on that. The GenIIIs I messed with came right off after removing the three bolts. I'd be leery of grabbing the outer edge of that sprocket with a puller. Maybe if you have one, put a little pressure on it but try to tap and/or gently pry the center portion. Maybe gently tap it a little all around after removing the center bolt is all it'd take? Searched for any YouTube vids? I might should look into this cuz I'll be in the same boat during an AFM delete.

I don't ever see the point of a cam holding tool. It's just a handle. On the GenIII, I always used a couple of the water pump bolts threaded into two of the cam sprocket bolt holes. I'd imagine you could do the same with the GenIV cam, just with a different bolt.

I know there's a spec for the slack, but I don't know what it is. I hear and see a lot of the new OEM and aftermarket chains having more slack than people's used original ones.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I want to say I used a 3 has puller to remove the sprocket. I used the old sprocket and the crank bolt to press the new one on. It was very little resistance sliding it on. There are alignment marks on the cam gear and sprocket. Make sure u get #1cylumder at TDC with the old timimg gear andfollow the instructions that comes with the new timing gear.

I used a crank locking tool to keep everything in place. It replaces the starter and includes a balancer install tool. Bought it off ebay and it works great. I don't see them together anymore but this is what I used..u don't want to strip your crank$$$

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191755290967

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223388784004

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk