Which Tahoe Should I choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you not like about the x7? I live right next to the factory in SC and they look pretty nice to me.
Lack of cargo room for its size. When the third row is down, the arm rests jut out like sore thumbs robbing of floor cargo room. I am blown away by the cargo room of the Tahoe/Yukon even with the third row up. I have had a 2015 Tahoe and a 2020 navigator. I miss the overall room of a true truck based full size suv.

I have the staggered tire run-flat set. Can’t rotate them. They last from 10-15k miles. In theory means I have to change them every oil change… annoying. There’s only 2 models that exist in my size, both of which are hard to get. Pretty much have to use a dealer to get them instead of 3rd party like discount tires. They produce tons of road noise. They are also screw magnets. I’m glad I bought a tire and wheel plan as it has paid for itself. Runflats are great though. Wish they made them for all vehicles.

I had a horrendous experience with the BMW service down here with a bad alignment, which wore my tires to the metal very quickly.

I may be wrong but I feel like the paint isn’t the most durable. And this car depreciates more rapidly than any other vehicle I have owned.

There’s some things I love. The drive and handling for its size is outstanding, but the new gen Tahoes aren’t that far behind. Yes nothing will beat the 0 to 60 of the twin turbo v8 but the 6.2 is very nice. I had a Tahoe LT with the 5.3 as a rental and fell in love. The quality of the x7 interior is really good, especially with the leather dash BUT the material isn’t the most durable. So if you are carrying things don’t let them hit your dash.

The Yukon Denali I reserved has everything that my x7 had but for $20k less. The only real options I lose is massage seats (who cares) and ambient lighting (nice but it’s a car not a night club).

Last edited:

TXNJ

Reaction score
Lack of cargo room for its size. When the third row is down, the arm rests jut out like sore thumbs robbing of floor cargo room. I am blown away by the cargo room of the Tahoe/Yukon even with the third row up. I have had a 2015 Tahoe and a 2020 navigator. I miss the overall room of a true truck based full size suv.

I have the staggered tire run-flat set. Can’t rotate them. They last from 10-15k miles. In theory means I have to change them every oil change… annoying. There’s only 2 models that exist in my size, both of which are hard to get. Pretty much have to use a dealer to get them instead of 3rd party like discount tires. They produce tons of road noise. They are also screw magnets. I’m glad I bought a tire and wheel plan as it has paid for itself. Runflats are great though. Wish they made them for all vehicles.

I had a horrendous experience with the BMW service down here with a bad alignment, which wore my tires to the metal very quickly.

I may be wrong but I feel like the paint isn’t the most durable. And this car depreciates more rapidly than any other vehicle I have owned.

There’s some things I love. The drive and handling for its size is outstanding, but the new gen Tahoes aren’t that far behind. Yes nothing will beat the 0 to 60 of the twin turbo v8 but the 6.2 is very nice. I had a Tahoe LT with the 5.3 as a rental and fell in love. The quality of the x7 interior is really good, especially with the leather dash BUT the material isn’t the most durable. So if you are carrying things don’t let them hit your dash.

The Yukon Denali I reserved has everything that my x7 had but for $20k less. The only real options I lose is massage seats (who cares) and ambient lighting (nice but it’s a car not a night club).
Glad you got this worked out in time for the move. FW is a great area. I've lived over here in Dallas for almost 20 years (transplant from NJ). the area continues to grow like crazy. I have a vehicle ordered through Sewell here in Dallas. Like many on this forum, it's been a long wait. Avoiding the ordering process is going to save you watching that x7 get banged up and lose value and just get it all behind you faster.

MoonTruck

Reaction score

I’ll have to disagree with you on the run-flats. The first thing I changed on my 2014 550 was the crappy Goodyear run-flats it came with. Every road imperfection that was run over sounded like an explosion or crash inside the cabin. In the span of 1 year I had 2 tires ruined due to small pot holes.

I switched to a set of Pirelli Cinturatos and it was a night and day difference. Smoother ride, quieter, and the same road imperfection now sound like a muted dull rubber thud. Also no issues with road imperfections and tires getting destroyed / bubbles.

I’ll never buy another car that doesn’t have a spare tire. The “weight savings” of not having a spare and using run-flats is a lose, lose, lose situation all around.

Only thing that needs a run flat is an armored personnel carrier / tac transport.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell that to @ProfeZZor X in this forum, have you seen his rig? lol.
I think you're somewhat taking that comment out of context... Since 2014, I've dreamed of owning a Charger Hellcat, but it just wasn't in the cards for me at the time. Then over the years there came a point in time where younger kids were buying them and cheapening the brand with silly add-on parts. And it's usually at that point for older men where the vehicle is less desirable for purchase (devalued for resale). In a way, that was kind of me except I had my eye on the Hellcat Durango. But, seeing as my kids are tall, the Durango wouldn't have been practical - especially on long trips.

As for the big wheels, it's all in your perspective. A 35" tire is still the same height if your rim is 17" or 26".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins