Which rooftop cargo carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the cargo carrier is a bit OBE due to lead times, but I have the largest Thule makes (Motion XT XXL) and use the Rhino Rack Vortex SX load bars. It's been a great setup for weekend bike racing and family vacations. A bit pricey up front but install is quick and easy, it sits lower on the rails than most, opens from both sides, and no wind noise.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into this recently. We've got another on the way and I almost just want to get an XL or ESV but I've literally just finished fixing everything on the one we have and my wife says she doesn't want to drive a long one. I'm really liking the idea of a roof basket because with any of the carriers you can't fit into any parking deck and once the basket is unloaded it will fit but the basket has it's downsides of wind noise, less weather protection, etc. Many of the hitch mounted carriers block opening the liftgate and block the license place which can get you pulled over.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into this recently. We've got another on the way and I almost just want to get an XL or ESV but I've literally just finished fixing everything on the one we have and my wife says she doesn't want to drive a long one. I'm really liking the idea of a roof basket because with any of the carriers you can't fit into any parking deck and once the basket is unloaded it will fit but the basket has it's downsides of wind noise, less weather protection, etc. Many of the hitch mounted carriers block opening the liftgate and block the license place which can get you pulled over.
Having owned both, they drive about the same, but the additional 22" of cargo capacity is worth every penny. Go with the hitch carrier as loading crap on the roof sucks - over 7' and you will not clear food windows or parking garages. Its not bad with a car, but you own a full size SUV with a factory hitch and a window hatch. Having everything down low is smarter...

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that. Pair of roof rack cross bars arrived today for the XL and now I'm debating just using the hitch-mount cargo I aleready own and finding a long enough waterproof bin as I'm having a hard time finding a decent roof-top cargo carrier. The LxWxH I want are going for ~$2K - what a ripoff!

NorCal Ollie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love my Packasport but it is not what you are looking for. It is great for skis but only rear opening and a bear to get on and off the vehicle.
Do you have a PackaSport on a Tahoe? I wanted to put one on my Escalade but I read the the PackaSport has fixed mounting points 30” apart. My Escalade/Tahoe roof bars are 27.5” apart and can move. I’d love it if there was a way to make a PackaSport work.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a PackaSport on a Tahoe? I wanted to put one on my Escalade but I read the the PackaSport has fixed mounting points 30” apart. My Escalade/Tahoe roof bars are 27.5” apart and can move. I’d love it if there was a way to make a PackaSport work.
Sorry for the delay in replying. We added additional mount points for the cross bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu