Which Radar Detector do you use? What do like about it? What do you hate about it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my V1 G2. Its my third Valentine. I can’t get into all the apps used except Waze. As was said, the combo of radar detector and Waze is near perfect. By me they only( mostly?) use laser in Pennsylvania but in NJ and up to Vermont my system is great. I still just use the 12V and window suction.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my V1 G2. Its my third Valentine. I can’t get into all the apps used except Waze. As was said, the combo of radar detector and Waze is near perfect. By me they only( mostly?) use laser in Pennsylvania but in NJ and up to Vermont my system is great. I still just use the 12V and window suction.

Since you have the Valentine: I can’t tell from the pictures on their web site, does the visor mount have any adjustment to it? The visor mount is my plan but in my car the visor points up when “closed” so I’m afraid it’ll point up toward the headliner instead of out the rear window.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have the Valentine: I can’t tell from the pictures on their web site, does the visor mount have any adjustment to it? The visor mount is my plan but in my car the visor points up when “closed” so I’m afraid it’ll point up toward the headliner instead of out the rear window.
Sorry but I dont have a visor mount so I cannot comment on it. Perhaps someone else can, or try the radar detector blogs.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
This is how my radar has been mounted for years easy to remove with heat gun and wired from back of mirror.No wires and no splicing can remove all in less than a minute.Can find both on ebay for less than 30 bucks.

Attachments

• radar power.jpg
    radar power.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 5

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d probably use something like that but my windshield is tinted.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how my radar has been mounted for years easy to remove with heat gun and wired from back of mirror.No wires and no splicing can remove all in less than a minute.Can find both on ebay for less than 30 bucks.
How complicated ( difficult) is it to access power in the mirror box? I am not ever anxious to take interior parts apart.

ATrainTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run a Uniden R7 with a blendmount and the gen5DIY mirror power harness. I had been a long term ****** radar guy until I moved over to the Uniden R3 a few years ago and then the R7. Having the indicator arrows is a total game changer and the R7 is hands down the best detector I’ve ever used.

It’s HOT here so I refuse to use suction cups of any variety and the blendmount holds it rock solid on the rear view mirror stem.

Normally I use an add-a-fuse for the power wire but I stumbled on that gen5diy adapter and while a little pricey I can ignore the convenience of just snapping my mirror trim off and plugging it right into a GM adapter and being done.

E95CBCD3-E8AF-42E8-8B98-F6892B0B215F.jpeg

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
How complicated ( difficult) is it to access power in the mirror box? I am not ever anxious to take interior parts apart.
Very easy take test light check key on pwr and ground push pins in and your done.5 minutes.I used a skinny metal probe to stick in to make contact with mirror metal tab to get power and ground.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Uniden R7 with a blendmount and the gen5DIY mirror power harness. I had been a long term ****** radar guy until I moved over to the Uniden R3 a few years ago and then the R7. Having the indicator arrows is a total game changer and the R7 is hands down the best detector I’ve ever used.

It’s HOT here so I refuse to use suction cups of any variety and the blendmount holds it rock solid on the rear view mirror stem.

Normally I use an add-a-fuse for the power wire but I stumbled on that gen5diy adapter and while a little pricey I can ignore the convenience of just snapping my mirror trim off and plugging it right into a GM adapter and being done.

View attachment 383974
Was removing the mirror trim and installing as easy as the gen5diy video makes it look? the Blend mount wiring looks pretty simple too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26