Which Radar Detector do you use? What do like about it? What do you hate about it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozess523

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am ready to replace my valentine 1 from 2007. I am a spirited driver and, I am fairly certain I just set a record time for driving from wicker park to central WI. In the past I have had K40 with laser jammers, V1, and a passport. On my current V1 there are a lot of false signs from other vehicle’s blind spot monitors. From what I have researched Uniden seems to be my first choice based and performance for dollar. I have already found the link to buy the harness for a RJ11 power cord, thanks to this forum. Seems like now that all the radar detectors have directional detection and the valentine is no longer a must have for me. What do you guys recommend?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an E-s-c-o-r-t MAX 360, and I am very happy with it. It is pricey, but it filters out 95+% of the false signals generated by other cars' sensor systems on the road. And it tells you which direction the radar beam is coming from, which is kind of cool, IMO.

(Didn't know that E-s-c-o-r-t is now considered as a censored word. OMG)

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would run with the current version of the V! I have never lost faith in mine I have X & K turned off and it is set for instant detection, yes you get a very occasional Laser bleep but it's not a deal breaker and usually you can tell you were not getting lasered anyway and the real deal is if you get hit with laser your goose is cooked anyway. :shrug:
I will add that I can assure you I am just as spirited as you are if not more so, I have set some records of my own.
run Waze and the V1 and you will be fine, I wouldn't even bother with these other radar "apps" nothing is more popular than waze

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mozess523

Mozess523

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an ****** MAX 360, and I am very happy with it. It is pricey, but it filters out 95+% of the false signals generated by other cars' sensor systems on the road.
I would run with the current version of the V! I have never lost faith in mine I have X & K turned off and it is set for instant detection, yes you get a very occasional Laser bleep but it's not a deal breaker and usually you can tell you were not getting lasered anyway and the real deal is if you get hit with laser your goose is cooked anyway. :shrug:
I will add that I can assure you I am just as spirited as you are if not more so, I have set some records of my own.
run Waze and the V1 and you will be fine, I wouldn't even bother with these other radar "apps" nothing is more popular than waze
Ah yes running Waze at the same time is key. The false laser signals can be the worst. It sounds like current V1 has less garbage signals. Seem like my current V1 works well in the middle of nowhere and was terrible in town. Now I am leaning back towards valentine and uniden. Wonder which one has better range?

OP
OP
Mozess523

Mozess523

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an E-s-c-o-r-t MAX 360, and I am very happy with it. It is pricey, but it filters out 95+% of the false signals generated by other cars' sensor systems on the road. And it tells you which direction the radar beam is coming from, which is kind of cool, IMO.

(Didn't know that E-s-c-o-r-t is now considered as a censored word. OMG)
Ahhh, that’s why it was “X”ed. Seems a bit unnecessary to censor “******.”

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes running Waze at the same time is key. The false laser signals can be the worst. It sounds like current V1 has less garbage signals. Seem like my current V1 works well in the middle of nowhere and was terrible in town. Now I am leaning back towards valentine and uniden. Wonder which one has better range?
from what I have seen on testing and reviews they are very close to each other in range, so I think it really boils down to personal choice, I have used the V1 for so long I am used to it and changing to something else might throw me off. I have mine hard wired in so I never even have to touch it unless I need to turn it down temporarily if there is active radar around me for a extended period, I can glance at it and know exactly whats up. Besides it has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars already so unless the radar technology changes and Valentine does not then I will just keep using the V1. Years and years ago I used the Uniden/cobra and the dang things would always die just out of warranty, very annoying. so my opinion is probably biased towards the V1 lol.

OP
OP
Mozess523

Mozess523

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
from what I have seen on testing and reviews they are very close to each other in range, so I think it really boils down to personal choice, I have used the V1 for so long I am used to it and changing to something else might throw me off. I have mine hard wired in so I never even have to touch it unless I need to turn it down temporarily if there is active radar around me for a extended period, I can glance at it and know exactly whats up. Besides it has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars already so unless the radar technology changes and Valentine does not then I will just keep using the V1. Years and years ago I used the Uniden/cobra and the dang things would always die just out of warranty, very annoying. so my opinion is probably biased towards the V1 lol.
Good point, the V1 has worked forever and is reliable. I think they offer a discount when trading in the old V1. Based on quality, performance, and sticking with what has worked I think I’ll go with the V1 and will no longer consider the Uniden.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya that's another reason I have stuck with Valentine, good customer service. They sell parts and do repairs and upgrades, the repairs and upgrades are not exactly cheap but cheaper than having to go buy a new one, they do pro-rate it depending the serial number/firmware. I have bought and sold several over the years on ebay, as long as the serial number is intact they have no issue doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts