Which PowerProbe to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my vehicles are old. They run great minus a few nuances... However, I'll be Daw Gone Nutz if I don't have pesky electrical problems. I'm going to pickup some of these power probe tools. Currently biggest problems are in my 1999 C5 Corvette. Dash flickers and speedometer just stopped working *ug* car is cherry aside from this and AC not working. Cannot drive it now though cause I have no speedometer. This is the biggest project that needs help. Poor car has sat for nearly 6 years because of these issues. I've drove MAYBE 100 miles in that time.

I have very little experience with these types of tools though. So any suggestions or alternative / better tools would be appreciated...

Long story short, I think I will get the ECT3000 to find circuit faults... I've studied various kits, magnet tools, etc etc etc. I borrowed a telephone wiring system that works on similar concept but thought this tool might be a good one for my DIY / at home shop. That's this one:

My biggest confusion is with the power probe itself though. The PP2 & PP3 are pretty basic. I like the PP4 in that it has some built in tests for alternator, injectors, etc. However, anybody use this Maestro one? It appears to have an Oscilloscope of sorts in it (I have used an oscope to diagnose problems a few times)?

I can also test the injectors and alternator with a DMM so not entirely sure... Does anybody have experience with these. I'm kind of leaning towards the PP4. One thing I hate though is buying a tool to only need the bigger tool at some point and have to purchase it again. In nearly every case my tools have paid for themselves.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like the power probe line, because of the ability to make a Huge expensive mistake- Throwing alot of volts/amps at something not designed for it( usually because of a fumble, not like I've ever dropped something while under the hood or had a cord hit the fan or end). Otherwise, they are very helpful, especially on the ground side. But not that much different than a multimeter with a resistor inline (1 OHM gold band) scale set to volts= current readout and a test light.

I would recommend a good set of piercing probes and a Master set of connectors for your multimeter first. Likewise, a few resistors in the toolbox to add inline when you NEED 5 volts max is a lifesaver thats cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the newer power probes come with a breaker / fuse?

I thought I saw that in their 4th gen tester marketing video. I just wrote them an email.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A can clone and a fluke 87 will do everything you need for vehicle maintenance. Instrument cluster likely either the stepper motor or silver migration on the rear of the circuit board. Might also try cleaning the firewall plug connection and circuit board connection.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm particularly interested in the power supply / jumper functionality of the power probe. I already have a DMM, couple Oscilloscopes, current limiting DC Power supply, scan tool, as well as HP Tuners suite. I find myself buying parts because it's more of a PITA to use that stuff to test components then to buy a new part.

Well, I'm going to buy the probe, I'm not quite sure which one. the PP3, PP4, or Maestro.

Not sure if there's a competitor to Power Probe with similar but better product though.

I also wrote them to ask if they have a configurable breaker in any of the probes to limit current.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues