Which one do i want?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've test driven 3 rigs from 2015-2017 (77k to 113k) and none have had cold AC during test drives. Is the AC a problem spot for these trucks or just fml?
Its weird, they take a few min to start really cooling down. My 15 will start blowing cold, but it does take a bit for the unit to really start getting down to cold temp. I think the cooling fan on the motor doesn't move enough air when first started to really take up the thermal load the ac is inducing is part of the issue. Get it going above 50 and hold it there for a good solid few minutes and the vent temps go from 55 to 43... Once you get the cabin cool it will maintain the 40 degree vent temps but just takes a while to overcome the solar load etc also in the interior. I have put the gauges on it, and the pressures read correct after a few minutes, but on first start up the pressures read high then fall down where they are supposed to be.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its weird, they take a few min to start really cooling down. My 15 will start blowing cold, but it does take a bit for the unit to really start getting down to cold temp. I think the cooling fan on the motor doesn't move enough air when first started to really take up the thermal load the ac is inducing is part of the issue. Get it going above 50 and hold it there for a good solid few minutes and the vent temps go from 55 to 43... Once you get the cabin cool it will maintain the 40 degree vent temps but just takes a while to overcome the solar load etc also in the interior. I have put the gauges on it, and the pressures read correct after a few minutes, but on first start up the pressures read high then fall down where they are supposed to be.
Now that I think about it my 2016 is the same way. Guess I am so used to it. If it is on 65 or lower it gets plenty cold quick enough. I generally leave it set at 72 all the time. Do not like to keep constantly adjusting temerature. In cold months in NYC I keep the a/c system in the Bi-Leverl position. Keeps the windows clear and Hoe comfy. I never shut the a/c system off.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I remember, the Tahoe K2XX problem was due to the pipes that are in front of the radiator. In Russia, we have a list of mandatory work that we do immediately after buying a car, this is the preservation of air conditioning pipes, this is the conservation of the VIN number, the removal of the air intake pipe for pneumatic cylinders into the passenger compartment. As a result, our cars drive 200-300 thousand km without problems with air conditioning.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Get it going above 50 and hold it there for a good solid few minutes and the vent temps go from 55 to 43... Once you get the cabin cool it will maintain the 40 degree vent temps but just takes a while to overcome the solar load etc also in the interior. "

That's what mine was doing before I replaced the evaporator.

Exactly what it was doing.

I drove it for about a month and it got worse, and I remembered that was the same pattern as when I had a new rear condenser put in under warranty.

In Florida, AC is mandatory, so it becomes clear something is wrong.

Not trying to argue - but my truck can sit in 93 degrees idling in my driveway, when I use auto-start, and it gets cold in 5-10 minutes or less, with zero time on the road.

Maybe evaporators and condensers fail slowly so they still work if you get the revs up?

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drove one today and the AC was cold so I bought it lol. Seriously tho, i did pull the trigger today but not just because of the cold AC. I'll update the thread once I get some pics of her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts