Which Aftermarket radio harness do you all recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the PAC and as good as it is, I would get the Maestro if I could go through process again. If you plan to keep this truck for any descent time (3+ years) and you do your own maintenance, the maestro doesnt hurt. You may pay a little more up front than a PAC but the abilities/options pay for itself. If you just want the basics, PAC is the way to go due to pricing but its been a while since I compared.
I used the PAC stuff in my 02 and it was ok but not nearly as easy or customizable as the Maestro. I like the ability to hook it to my computer and choose vehicle options like amps, chimes, onstar, steering wheel controls, etc plus it hooks to the obd2 port and displays all kinds of vehicle info including trans temp, tire pressure, gauges etc on the hu as well as dtc codes and the ability to clear them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to install a pioneer doble din stereo on my 2012 tahoe. I already did some research but I want to get different opinions. I want to retain all the chimes, steering wheel controls and the back up sensors. My tahoe doesn’t have navigation but it came equipped with the Bose system. Also I want to install a back up camera. Any help thanks in advance.

Having tried the PAC GMOS and Axxess interfaces in my '08 that's equipped the same as yours, I'd recommend the Maestro to have the best of everything. The cheaper interfaces make things "work", but that's about the best of it. You seem to have to sacrifice a little here and there. For example, the Axxess uses the mechanical clicking of a relay to make the turn signal clicks, which is perfectly audible and not so bad to get used to (compared to the original electronic "tock" sound from the speaker). But, the warning tones, including the backup sensor tones, are faint, sometimes delayed and sound cheap. The PAC retains more stock like warning tones and they seem to chime "on time", but the turn signal sound is very faint. Both just seem a little clunky and the integration just isn't so smooth and transparent. Maybe the upper-scale PAC GM-LAN series is better all around? I have one but haven't swapped it in yet. If your Pioneer can display the vehicle data, don't do it and yourself the injustice of getting the cheaper interfaces.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Metra Axxess GMLAN29 system. First one was actually defective and I had to send it back but the second one works just fine. Everything I've read says idatalink Maestro has more capabilities, but the Metra is at least cheaper.

One thing I learned during the install is to follow the directions for "models with an analog amplifier." I assumed I had a digital amp with my bose system but the rear speakers didn't work when I hooked it up that way. Checked the directions and tried the analog amp instructions (which is basically just to attach the rear speakers to a different set of green and purple wires on the harness) and the rear speakers worked like a charm.

The door chimes are VERY loud with the AX-GMLAN29 by default, but you can adjust them down easily by following the instructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan