Where can I grab constant +12v under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Where can I get constant power under the hood on my 05 Yukon? Only need less than 5 amps to run an LED light under hood. I know I can get a battery post adapter and get from the battery, but don't wanna wait to order one etc. Looking at the fuse box, there is a "#1 stud" with a plastic "B+" plug thing in it, after removal which had +12v. Looks like I'd add the fuse, but then where do I get the output?

A9F13716-5E5A-4312-8B6A-EB73F4DE0D8B.jpeg

OR how do I remove the cover to the fuse box, since I can see a terminal underneath that is connected to battery? (Obviously ok have the cover off already, I mean to get underneath it)

EDIT: Looks like i will probably just plug a spade onto the hot side of #1 stud, attach a fuse and fish it down and out the bottom. Googling seems to tell me this B+ spot is for trailer accessory power.

Last edited:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Wait to order What? Just grab a ring tongue terminal and add it to the external battery terminal off the block.22141454_dcd_85405_pri_larg.jpg plusbattery.jpg
Personally mine is wired off a fuse block for my aftermarket amplifier. I have a led light so im not worried about power consumption. And it's only drawing power when hood is up.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the cover for the fuse box and use the stud where the battery connects to the panel. Nice and hidden and a true constant 12v.
With the stud #1 being trailer accessory, i'd worry it may only be hot with the key on, as to not kill your truck battery while you have a trailer connected parked.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Yep, That's was my my initial thought and why I posted - asking how to remove the e cover...

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you have the lid off, you can gently pop the surrounding cover off. one plastic clip towards the fender, and two tabs you have to pop it over towards the engine. Then the whole thing lifts off carefully. I actually think you can do it with the lid on, just easier to see to line it back up with it off.
EDIT: The plastic clip is in the bottom of your fuse box picture up there ^^^

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait to order What? Just grab a ring tongue terminal and add it to the external battery terminal off the block.View attachment 182564 View attachment 182565
Personally mine is wired off a fuse block for my aftermarket amplifier. I have a led light so im not worried about power consumption. And it's only drawing power when hood is up.
Wrap it in loom or techflex and have a really clean oem looking wire run

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a fuse tap?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stud #1 on my '04 Hoe is always hot (after I put the fuse in). I have to be careful when towing since it's always sending power to the trailer when the 7-pole is connect, and that can drain the battery if the truck's not running.

You can use a ring terminal on the stud I've highlighted in the pic:
upload_2017-9-6_18-35-55.png

Stud #2 is for the electric trailer brakes.