Where are knock sensors on 2012 Chev tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ally tube videos show them to be under intake manifold on prior years 5.3l v8. But not on 2012 version

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Ron pointed out, they're conveniently on the sides of the block, just above the oil pan. One on each side.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I remember now. There was a thread about an oil leak on the passenger side of a NNBS and a member told the OP about the knock sensor above the starter and the o-ring was likely the leak at the knock sensor.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember now. There was a thread about an oil leak on the passenger side of a NNBS and a member told the OP about the knock sensor above the starter and the o-ring was likely the leak at the knock sensor.

Crankshaft Position Sensor. The passenger side knock sensor is a few inches to the right of the CKP and is just bolted to a boss cast into the block- it doesn't *********.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, yep I remember that answer now. Why does the knock sensor come with an o-ring? Just to isolate from being metal to metal when the bolt is tightened?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crankshaft Position Sensor. The passenger side knock sensor is a few inches to the right of the CKP and is just bolted to a boss cast into the block- it doesn't *********.

Typing this reminded me that I had a pic of my block in my build thread. It shows the knock sensor on the passenger side. It's right next to the oil dipstick tube. The one on the driver side is about in the same location.

Knock sensor loosely bolted to block and hanging. The CKP sensor is to the far left and would be right above/kinda behind the starter solenoid:

img_0929-jpg.242655

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, yep I remember that answer now. Why does the knock sensor come with an o-ring? Just to isolate from being metal to metal when the bolt is tightened?

I've never seen an O-ring on these. It needs to be metal-to-metal so it can detect the knock transferred through the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts