When your new shop puts on the wrong tailshaft seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New shop down the road (within walking distance) put a rear cover gasket and rear main seal on for me last week. They called and said that they may have inadvertently damaged the tailshaft extension housing seal and were going to put a new one on. Score! I like honesty. Picked it up and drove it for a half hour or so running a couple of errands and all was well. Later that evening, went to pick up one of our dogs from the vet and once I hit 40MPH, I hear this terrible whine/squeal/screech. It sounded electrical, so I kill the radio and HVAC. Seemed to disappear under 20MPH. Nope, not electrical. Dang. I take a look underneath and the seal doesn't look like what I remembered.

The next day, I get the GoPro out and take a couple of videos. I take it back on Monday and take the manager for a ride. He hears it. We put it on their drive on lift that has a neeatsecondary lift to put the wheels in the air while the vehicle is raised enough to walk under. It's coming from that seal. He said that he saw there's two part numbers and he'd get a new one from GM and put that in. They drop me off at home and call later that it's ready. They pick me up and I ask if about the different part number and they put one that looked like the old. No more noise!

Edit: watch the volume, it's horrific sounding!

TLDR: There are two seals for the tailshaft extension housing listed - one with a boot (24232325) and the other without (24232324). Pay attention to what your vehicle came with. They were doing me a favor replacing it since they didn't know if they broke it during the original repair. That's valuable in a shop. Then they stood by their work and made it right when it wasn't. That's valuable in a shop. Even though the place is within walking distance, they shuttled me to and from home several times. That's valuable in a shop.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am going to assume that the one that should be on there is the one without the boot.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 05 is just the opposite. The one that came out and was replaced was the non booted one.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your shop did the right thing. BRAVO to them. That is getting real rare these days.

Do they have a web site or Facebook or Twitter account? If yes, give them some big Kudos.

Personally, when I have a great vendor who has been honest and fair with me for a number of years, I award them with a plaque that they can display in their shop. It is good promo for them, and can often result in future discounts and/or freebies for you.

Plaque.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9