When people ask, Why do you need such a big.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.... no

I am NOT a soccer mom or dad.....

Shortly after our second child was born, we went to look at and buy a newer Chevy Astro Van. Couldn't agree on a price so the guy showed us his other vehicle for sale, a Pontiac Montana. Arguably, the best looking, manly minivan ever made! We liked it so much that we eventually owned three. My father and I could sit in the 3rd row comfortably, he's tall and I'm average height and fat. Anyhow, still have one left that will be retired soon for a Yukon. It is still our go to vehicle for hauling furniture and lumber because of lower deck height and that particular model, the seats all easily come out of both rows.

mtc1328

Reaction score
It seems that every time I think I could downsize to a smaller vehicle, I immediately put the Tahoe to work. We've been doing a lot of house project lately, and smaller SUVs can't handle drywall, doors, pressure washers (standing up), etc. Well, not as easily.
Not to mention, most (if not all) of the newer class of smaller SUVs don't offer the option to open the rear window. That has come in handy for hauling 8'x10' rugs and 12' quarter round trim.
Hopefully the frequency at which we have to buy and haul new doors and rugs and God awful quarter round trim is very rare, but it is great to have a vehicle that can handle anything anytime.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that every time I think I could downsize to a smaller vehicle, I immediately put the Tahoe to work. We've been doing a lot of house project lately, and smaller SUVs can't handle drywall, doors, pressure washers (standing up), etc. Well, not as easily.
Not to mention, most (if not all) of the newer class of smaller SUVs don't offer the option to open the rear window. That has come in handy for hauling 8'x10' rugs and 12' quarter round trim.
Hopefully the frequency at which we have to buy and haul new doors and rugs and God awful quarter round trim is very rare, but it is great to have a vehicle that can handle anything anytime.

You should probably upgrade in size to the Suburban!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have four kids, all still in some variation of a car seat/booster. We use the Suburbatank as the family rig, and the Yukon is the "commuter" and back up family vehicle (3rd row yay!). We tried having and car instead of the Yukon and it just didn't work out for us. Our Suburban can haul all 6 of us to the beach, with a wagon, cooler and extra bags for everyone and still have room in the back. Also the rear has plenty of space for the kids to change into dry clothes after swimming at the beach. Picking up groceries with all four kids in the Suburban is no issue. We will always own one from here on out. Thankfully my wife and I agree that a van is not for us and we will never own one. Living in Maine it makes a huge difference having 4x4 where it's winter almost half the year.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have four kids, all still in some variation of a car seat/booster. We use the Suburbatank as the family rig, and the Yukon is the "commuter" and back up family vehicle (3rd row yay!). We tried having and car instead of the Yukon and it just didn't work out for us. Our Suburban can haul all 6 of us to the beach, with a wagon, cooler and extra bags for everyone and still have room in the back. Also the rear has plenty of space for the kids to change into dry clothes after swimming at the beach. Picking up groceries with all four kids in the Suburban is no issue. We will always own one from here on out. Thankfully my wife and I agree that a van is not for us and we will never own one. Living in Maine it makes a huge difference having 4x4 where it's winter almost half the year.

I’m right there with you with the four kids. Understand the need for both vehicles needing to haul 6 people. In addition to our Yukon XL (our 4th) we have a crewcab truck with 6 passenger capacity and we bought my 16 yr old a 2004 Grand Marquis ($1800) and it has room for 6 as well.

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had others in the past as well. Both our '02 Tahoe and '01 Yukon rusted to death long before the motors were dead. We are trying to be really good about hitting up the car wash often with our newer ones, trying to avoid rusting again. One of the worst parts of living in Northern New England!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because I can!! no kids, no reason other than because I wanted to!

ok fine I got an avalanche and it worked very well for me, and got great deals on the 2500 burb, her XL Denali , and the Tahoe that will replace the avy ( rust issues) I have always seemed to migrate to blazers, Cherokees and such but they don't have any towing capacity. so I dove into the realm of full size suv head first!