When Did You Replace Your Ball Joints and Control Arms?

At what mileage did you replace the ball joints and or control arms on your truck?

• Before 50K Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 50K and 75K Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m at 135k on my 07 and plan to do it next spring. issues are front left tire wears on the outside and when I brake I get a short tug to the left.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly what the mileage was when I rebuilt the front suspension but I know the truck had 155k miles on it when I bought it and I can only assume the control arms and ball joints were original since there was nothing in the dealer service records about them being changed.

The upper control arms still had the plastic pieces in the cams as well.

I went with Moog lower ball joints and I believe Moog upper control arms if I remember correctly.

What I do know is that the original ball joints didn't have zerk fittings and couldn't be greased as PM.

The one thing I made sure of was that the new ball joints for upper and lower had zerk fittings.

Last edited:

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was around 175K and 10 years old. My state inspector told me I had a bit of slack in the upper ball joints. replaced with Mevotech supreme UCA from rock auto. Been almost 2 years and 10K miles and only gripe I have is the blue boots on the mevotechs are starting to crack. Not excited about that, no grease leaking yet but i'd imagine they may last another year or so. We shall see

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the processes of collecting parts to rebuild the entire suspension. I am a buy once/cry once type of person and do not want to tear it back down again anytime soon, I want to be able to go another several years before touching stuff. I want the truck to drive like new. Currently, the front end links are completely missing, so I can imagine the wear and tear is pretty high. I read that the Moog K parts were the high quality replacements, so I focused on those.

I am replacing the following with new:

Front:

Struts - AC Delco factory
Strut Mounts - Moog K
Upper/Lower front control arms - Moog K
Tierods - Moog K
Endlinks - Moog K
Wheel Hubs - Moog K

Rear:

Air/Electronic shocks - Arnott
Air Compressor - Dorman

Is there anything else I should replace while I am there?

I was thinking front axles as well since the hubs will be off, but I only trust OEM and they're quite expensive for both, about $500. But again, I will spend the money if it's a part that may fail in the near future rather than take the wheel hub off again.

Also, I wanted to replace the rear control arms but I only saw Moog had the "R" level part, which is the budget part. I do not want to use those. I wanted to replace the bushing at least, but did not see any replacement bushings. Anyone know about bushings?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the following with new:

Front:

Struts - AC Delco factory

Make sure these are not the pre-assembled ones as they are of lesser quality than buying all the parts individually and building a new one from scratch. You'll need a McPherson Strut Spring Compression too for DIY.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed TWO strut spring compressor sets (from O'reilly) when I did mine cuz the threaded shaft was bending a lot with just one set. Spreading the load among two sets (four compressors total) made it much safer.

Reaction score
Can a shop press type of apparatus be used to disassemble/reassemble the struts?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed TWO strut spring compressor sets (from O'reilly) when I did mine cuz the threaded shaft was bending a lot with just one set. Spreading the load among two sets (four compressors total) made it much safer.

I'm thinking of this kind Chris: OTC6494_1200Wx1200H.jpg

FF to about 3:00 minutes in:

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That eBay seller I posted the link to above used to list actual factory loaded front struts (full assembly with Rancho shock and spring and bearing etc). I think he has one left for $139. Bummer as he once had a TON of them but the GMT900 old factory stock is getting thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne