Wheel weights----ADHESIVE vs CLIP ON---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I took it to my regular tire shop down the road after explaining what happened at Costco and they hooked me up with a Dynamic balance with stick on weights. However, one wheel needed quite a bit of weight and I noticed when I got home that they had stacked the stick-on weights in one area. Is this normal?

I would not want stacked adhesive weights like that. That is why I recommended earlier in this thread that the tire and wheel, with the stacked weights, should have been deflated, break the beads down and rotate 180 degrees to move the heavy spots away from each other, and then rebalance. Sometimes you have to do it again and do just 90 degrees in either direction.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took it to my regular tire shop down the road after explaining what happened at Costco and they hooked me up with a Dynamic balance with stick on weights. However, one wheel needed quite a bit of weight and I noticed when I got home that they had stacked the stick-on weights in one area. Is this normal?
In my experience yes it’s normal. Stick ons aren’t as heavy as the clip ons and sometimes they need to stack them. It’s not a big deal imo. With bigger wheels especially, no matter how they try to offset the differences by spinning the tires on the rims, there will be stacked weights. Here’s my 22’s, done by a shop that knows their shit. They just need to make sure they’re installed good.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was only one tire that needed so much weight..
4678.jpeg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 232132
They pretty much have to stack stick-ons because the machine says to place a certain amount of weight at the “x” , not place a certain amount spread out over a large area. And I forgot about the fact that you need more weight towards the center of a wheel than the outside where clip-ons are mounted, due to physics. Just keep an eye to make sure none fall off.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the same issue on my XTS. Had to get it match mounted and roadforce balanced because the static balance wasn't getting the job done. The tech put a lot of time into it and still couldn't get the front left wheel within tolerance. Roadforce number was at 33lbs (should be under 20) and they couldn't get it any lower. They are 20x10s though, and the bigger and wider the wheels get, the more this becomes a problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my XTS. Had to get it match mounted and roadforce balanced because the static balance wasn't getting the job done. The tech put a lot of time into it and still couldn't get the front left wheel within tolerance. Roadforce number was at 33lbs (should be under 20) and they couldn't get it any lower. They are 20x10s though, and the bigger and wider the wheels get, the more this becomes a problem.

IMO, there was a badly balanced, from the factory, tire or wheel causing the problem. I say this because there was the problem on only one of the wheel/tire combinations.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacked weights are normal... stick on weights are light and thin... to put more than an ounce in one spot usually involves stacking... as long as the installer made sure the surfaces where clean you shouldn't have a problem...

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, there was a badly balanced, from the factory, tire or wheel causing the problem. I say this because there was the problem on only one of the wheel/tire combinations.

No doubt (it's the wheel, I put brand new tires on it and both the old and new setups had the same issue). This kind of thing happens a lot, and becomes much more of a problem as your wheel becomes a bigger percentage of the wheel/tire combo. My XTS has 245/40/20s on it. Those are very short sidewalls. Thus wheel imperfections are a very big deal. The exact same situation on the base-model's 245/50/18s would not be as big of an issue...maybe not an issue at all.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt (it's the wheel, I put brand new tires on it and both the old and new setups had the same issue). This kind of thing happens a lot, and becomes much more of a problem as your wheel becomes a bigger percentage of the wheel/tire combo. My XTS has 245/40/20s on it. Those are very short sidewalls. Thus wheel imperfections are a very big deal. The exact same situation on the base-model's 245/50/18s would not be as big of an issue...maybe not an issue at all.
Agreed 100%. That’s why I was saying earlier that there’s a few things to take into consideration when balancing wheels and deciding how to do it/ what type of weights to use. As the wheel gets to be a big percentage of the whole package like you said or if the inner lip is much bigger than the outer lip, it can get tricky. Also if the tire is super hard to even get on in the first place, you don’t want even the best shop to be pulling it off and rotating it so they’d better get it right the first time. That’s why I was nervous having tires mounted on my 26” billets and did a lot of searching to find the right shop. I had the rear wheels built with a 3” backspace so the lips are 9” which means the weights are closer to the inside of the hoops. Add to that the fact that in order to get the look I wanted I had them mount 295/30/26 tires on 12” wide wheels and stretch them, and you get a hard to balance wheel. They are perfect though, but only had it up to 90 so far.AB7B650E-DACE-424B-B7E3-6D508AB2389D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu