Wheel idea.. just throwing this out there...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARogg619

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a 2001 Yukon SLT I bought about 2 months ago. I bought it as a cheap winter ride/work pig so my Camaro can retire from daily driver duty for a while. As with most of you, ive grown to kinda like this truck lol. ive started doing little things to it to dress it up and update the look. My biggest issue is the damn stock wheels ( ugly pitted, stained 16s). Ive been looking all over and im just not ready to drop that kind of money yet. But then a thought hit me! I have my stock Camaro SS 5th gen Wheels just sitting taking up space in my warehouse. Is there anyway to mount these up even though they are 5-lug, and staggered sizes ( width). Anybody try this? Ill obviously be putting bigger tires on them but im thinking this might be a good updated look on the cheap if possible. Anybody??

-Adam

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a 2001 Yukon SLT I bought about 2 months ago. I bought it as a cheap winter ride/work pig so my Camaro can retire from daily driver duty for a while. As with most of you, ive grown to kinda like this truck lol. ive started doing little things to it to dress it up and update the look. My biggest issue is the damn stock wheels ( ugly pitted, stained 16s). Ive been looking all over and im just not ready to drop that kind of money yet. But then a thought hit me! I have my stock Camaro SS 5th gen Wheels just sitting taking up space in my warehouse. Is there anyway to mount these up even though they are 5-lug, and staggered sizes ( width). Anybody try this? Ill obviously be putting bigger tires on them but im thinking this might be a good updated look on the cheap if possible. Anybody??

-Adam

Trade them to somebody. Local shop?

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
man, I really thought I was onto something with this but im shocked at the quick responses of not to do it. I still might lol. I mean, I don't offroad, I don't go anywhere crazy, its just a to and from truck and for the winter. I thought it would look cool when the 2 are parked together lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You asked and we responded. In my opinion adapters are unsafe. In the end, it is your Yukon and your wheels and you should do what you want to do. Having ran shops at one time and seeing problems caused by adapters and universal wheels with gobs of stud holes in them, I just don't think it is the way to go. I would sell the wheels or trade them and then get the aftermarket wheel you really want, like HiHoe and SnowDrifter said.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, I really thought I was onto something with this but im shocked at the quick responses of not to do it. I still might lol. I mean, I don't offroad, I don't go anywhere crazy, its just a to and from truck and for the winter. I thought it would look cool when the 2 are parked together lol
DO NOT DO THIS!

Your vehicle was designed with 6 lugs holding the wheels on for a reason. It may look cool, maybe, but one hard, unexpected turn to avoid a car or something an you could be in a heap of hurt.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Sure go ahead. Let me know how those wheels designed for a vehicle with 3800lb car perform on a 6k SUV. With wheel adapters as a failure point. That move the wheel out way far out putting a fuckton of stress on the wheel bearing. That ***** your scrub radius so handling is garbo.

Remind me where you live? I want to make sure I'm off those roads.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sure go ahead. Let me know how those wheels designed for a vehicle with 3800lb car perform on a 6k SUV. With wheel adapters as a failure point. That move the wheel out way far out putting a fuckton of stress on the wheel bearing. That ***** your scrub radius so handling is garbo.

Remind me where you live? I want to make sure I'm off those roads.

Best description yet. Hopefully the OP sees the pattern.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
To be fair, his title even says "just throwing it out there"

Nothing wrong with asking about an idea. He's gotten fairly unanimous responses, which is good, because they're solid ones.

I understand and agree that it's a little disconcerting when someone says something like everybody said no, but I'm gonna do it anyways...

So on another, more constructive note, if you'd need to buy tires for the wheels anyways, I'd start checking on CL for a full set of takeoffs. I see them with fairly new tires for <1000 all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC