Wheel Hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZR WON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All:

I did a search in this section with no results, not to say that I'm searching with the correct keywords...;) Probably a strange question to a lot of you, but I recently purchased a 2015 PPV (LOVE it!). I've been breaking it in the last three weeks or so, finally did a couple 'launches' without traction control on yesterday / last night. Both times the wheel hop was so bad I had to get out of it for fear of breaking something. I've had several Silverados (same basic suspension sans coil vs. leaf rear spring) and never had this issue. Understand I'm not wanting to put slicks on this thing and take it to the track, but honestly, I'm kinda surprised GM wouldn't have identified this issue given the intended application of a PPV (hard acceleration to catch speeders). Outside of those Gawd Awful traction bars I see hanging down on the big power diesel pickups, are there any options out there to help?

Brian A.
2015 PPV
Silver Ice Metallic

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
None of my trucks i do that are lowered have axle hop. Then again i do 3 inches at least in rear. My escalade is over 650 horsepower and im at a 6 inch drop. NO axle hop just nice posi for 300 feet

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have this issue either... stock or w/ rear lower level.

you dont have that many miles on yur PPV. was it ragged out?

a silverado will have this issue, due to leaf springs. i dont see how tahoe/burb will w/ coil springs

what is your tire pressure? are tires good? are tires worn?
tires balanced proper? no vibrations while just driving? or on highway?
maybe there is some tire separation or something.

how are shocks & bushings?

OP
OP
ZR WON

ZR WON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jay:

It has 19K miles and not beaten on at all. Tire pressure is upper 30s, 8/32s tread, no vibration up to fuel cutoff (139). Shocks and bushings are of course fine with the mileage.

Brian A.
2015 PPV
Silver Ice Metallic

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh, sounds good for tire pressure & such

how hard were you launching? what rpm?

if i launch much over 2k w/ TC off, i just boil my tires. i have 22's

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mentioned TC was off... what about StabiliTrak?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of my trucks i do that are lowered have axle hop. Then again i do 3 inches at least in rear. My escalade is over 650 horsepower and im at a 6 inch drop. NO axle hop just nice posi for 300 feet
wheel hop is a Torque issue rather then a Horsepower thing

mine has done that three times, today ( lightly )and several weeks back

I would check the tyre pressure for an underinflated tyre .. should be at lest 36 for balanced performance , 40psi (for optimal MPG it;s about a 7% gain over 32PSI)..

those 80HP motors can lay down the tires on the pavement.(you can see twist cracks in the tyers around the center of the sidewall)
nearly had the front tyres off the ground..when launching it one time

it was Low Speed acceleration and the other time "normal" driving... the whole rear end jumped off the ground..
but 0-25mph 2.3 seconds is not too bad for a 80HP that is with a land yacht that weights 5900 pounds...(with stuff)

I have not had an issues with torque steer.

apparently there is a buffer overflow in the ECM that allows this if you manipulate the voltage (lower voltage or unstable voltage ) it buffer overflows the ECM and Hybrid Powertrain Control Module

and you can do naughty things with it... like burn outs,launching etc..

GM totally under rated that electrical motor.. i'm pretty sure that 80HP motor can get the SUV to 0-60 in 5.5-6.1 seconds

Electric power launch

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheel hop is a Torque issue rather then a Horsepower thing

mine has done that three times, today ( lightly )and several weeks back

I would check the tyre pressure for an underinflated tyre .. should be at lest 36 for balanced performance , 40psi (for optimal MPG it;s about a 7% gain over 32PSI)..

those 80HP motors can lay down the tires on the pavement.(you can see twist cracks in the tyers around the center of the sidewall)
nearly had the front tyres off the ground..when launching it one time

it was Low Speed acceleration and the other time "normal" driving... the whole rear end jumped off the ground..
but 0-25mph 2.3 seconds is not too bad for a 80HP that is with a land yacht that weights 5900 pounds...(with stuff)

I have not had an issues with torque steer.

apparently there is a buffer overflow in the ECM that allows this if you manipulate the voltage (lower voltage or unstable voltage ) it buffer overflows the ECM and Hybrid Powertrain Control Module

and you can do naughty things with it... like burn outs,launching etc..

GM totally under rated that electrical motor.. i'm pretty sure that 80HP motor can get the SUV to 0-60 in 5.5-6.1 seconds

Electric power launch

nice necropost.

i have found 36-40 psi when tires are hot to be too high & a great way to wear out center of tread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons