Wheel hop, service stability in the DIC when turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one. Now which of those two inside the transfer case I do not know. I was seeing if you lived close by and could hook up my Tech2 computer to see what the computer is seeing and pull codes.

OP
OP
P

Penz turner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's the one. Now which of those two inside the transfer case I do not know. I was seeing if you lived close by and could hook up my Tech2 computer to see what the computer is seeing and pull codes.

I wish i was closer. I appreciate your help.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the skidding happen only when turning left?

@swathdiver He lives close enough, I don't see why you couldn't send him your tech2 for diagnosis, pending the shipping charges or a small returnable deposit. Could help determine the depth of issue. Personally, I would narrow the problem down to abs, front diff or TC before jumping through the hoops that is the auto repair industry. I'd hate to think the TC is on the fritz after the rebuild he paid for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Penz turner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

@swathdiver He lives close enough, I don't see why you couldn't send him your tech2 for diagnosis, pending the shipping charges or a small returnable deposit. Could help determine the depth of issue. Personally, I would narrow the problem down to abs, front diff or TC before jumping through the hoops that is the auto repair industry. I'd hate to think the TC is on the fritz after the rebuild he paid for.

No skidding and binding is when turning either direction.

OP
OP
P

Penz turner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, i took it to our local chevy dealership and a friend of mine, who is a mechanic there, hooked up their tech 2 and it showed 0 codes. Their most experinced mechanic came out to see what we were doing and he told me it is a bad sensor. He said that it could be my wheel speed sensors, which are new and operate fine when i have the snap on obd 2 scan tool hooked up. Or the speed sensor in the front of the transfer case, which there is only 1 sensor in the back. He said the back sensor has nothing to do with it. He thinks the encoder motor is not releasing pressure when i am making turns, which is thinking i am sliding. I had to replace the clock spring, and I am wondering if my stearing wheel positiin sensor needs recalabrated or replaced.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh boy. Rubber on the pavement is not a skid mark and the master tech of a GM dealership is referencing the encoder motor which a BW full-time is not even equipped with. what a clusterf*ck

All, if not most of the info you walked away with is null & void since 'GM Master Tech' is 100% shooting off about an AutoTrac NP8

Your nr4 does have a TC motor, but only with a couple of positions. Def no encoder or position sensor engineered for the use of a clutch pack

I'm no expert of FT trans case but I'm pretty sure it is not equipped with all of these output sensors, either. that mechanic is specifically referring to the autotrac setup and it's all generic opinions, which even you can verify by running a Google search on np8/nvg246 faults. But then again, not your application.

That 'tech2' was designed to tap into any sensor on the vehicle and display what it is reading, so either you don't have the sensors or they don't know how to use their tools. Had you been there inquiring about a PT TC, that tech2 in capable hands would have resulted in a diagnosis. you will prob learn more about your equipment if you put together proper keywords & search terms.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Weird, I did not get a notice for this. I use it too much to mail it out. He might need to take it to another dealer or a 4x4 shop.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

Penz turner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score