What's the best way??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my np246 transfer case and I get dizzy just looking at it. What's the best/easiest way to replace the transfer case? I just finished replacing my front diff with a crappy little jack and some wood blocks so if it's possible I might tackle it myself but I don't know if its feasible. I've looked underneath and honestly it's kinda scary because of the two big cross members that are under it. Also I've heard about a pinhole leak from the pump?? Where does it appear at on the transfer case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the front and rear driveshafts, unplug all electical connections. Remove the crossmember to frame bolts. A transmission jack would be the best if you have access to one. Place it under the transfer, remove the bolts that connect it to the tramsmission. You'll habe to keep the trans and transfer in line while you separate them to get the output shaft on the trans to unspline from the transfer case. Its not too hard, good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the front and rear driveshafts, unplug all electical connections. Remove the crossmember to frame bolts. A transmission jack would be the best if you have access to one. Place it under the transfer, remove the bolts that connect it to the tramsmission. You'll habe to keep the trans and transfer in line while you separate them to get the output shaft on the trans to unspline from the transfer case. Its not too hard, good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Guess I'll have to buy a transmission jack, don't mind doing it myself just don't want it to fall on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu