Whats needed to put a T VIN Engine in my 2002 Z VIN Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berpie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. Long time reader, tho...

So my 5.3 finally gave out, locked up, seize on us while we were on a camping trip. 272k miles on odo, 101 degrees, Colorado mountains, died mid hill climb. (I dont blame the engine, it was hot as hell that day, it was gonna happen...)

So I sourced a 145k "T" VIN Engine at a local scrap yard, Stadium Auto parts. A mechanic friend recommended I use them, so far, nice guys/decent price ($729 for 145k used complete.)

They were saying I need to swap the intake mani, the exh mani's, and somethging about the EGR... They were NOT VERY SURE on what they were talking about, they were reading it off of the exchange notes in the computer.

So I guess I'm asking, what do I need to do to use this engine in my "Z" VIN Tahoe? THe next "T" engine is $1100, and I cant afford that.

THANKS In Advance!
(Truck is a 2002 Tahoe 4wd LS)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. Long time reader, tho...

So my 5.3 finally gave out, locked up, seize on us while we were on a camping trip. 272k miles on odo, 101 degrees, Colorado mountains, died mid hill climb. (I dont blame the engine, it was hot as hell that day, it was gonna happen...)

So I sourced a 145k "T" VIN Engine at a local scrap yard, Stadium Auto parts. A mechanic friend recommended I use them, so far, nice guys/decent price ($729 for 145k used complete.)

They were saying I need to swap the intake mani, the exh mani's, and somethging about the EGR... They were NOT VERY SURE on what they were talking about, they were reading it off of the exchange notes in the computer.

So I guess I'm asking, what do I need to do to use this engine in my "Z" VIN Tahoe? THe next "T" engine is $1100, and I cant afford that.

THANKS In Advance!
(Truck is a 2002 Tahoe 4wd LS)

What is the L rpo code from your existing truck and the L# of the new engine?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Z" engine is an L59, the FlexFuel version of the "T" engine which is an LM7.

Use the block and heads from the donor and transfer everything else that doesn't match. Can't say for sure as I've never seen them. But the block and heads are the same. By swapping over in that manner, you will not have a FlexFuel capability. To gain it, you would need the ECM and the injectors at minimum. That question would be better asked over at the Performance Trucks forum.

OP
OP
B

Berpie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. Both intake and exhaust manifolds, and what else could there be?

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing, the bottom ends are the same. The differences in years that will plague you with running issues are injectors (unless you pay to have them changed in the tune) and cam and crank sensors. If the new engine has the cam sensor at the rear of the engine you're golden on that, and move your intake and injectors over and thats done.

OP
OP
B

Berpie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And we are RUNNING! Mechanic used my intake manifold, coils, injectors. While we had it out, went ahead and put a new water pump.
He used the T exhaust mani's(new gaskets), new intake gaskets, he said my intake gaskets were the "original orange", and that's prolly why I was getting a lean code every so often. I guess they crush easy??...
No issues with EGR, the knock sensor was on the rear of the block, he said it was pretty straight forward. Engine came out of a same year(2002) Silverado .

So, anyone else putting a T Vin code engine in a Z truck, now you know how.
Easy Peasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st