What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been some good advice here. A few years back we bought my wife a 2003 Alero with a salvage title as a result of some minor deer impact damage. I knew salvage cars can cause insurance issues later on but the car was an unusual car with a special dealer installed interior that my wife loved.

Shortly after getting it my wife gets rear-ended at a stop light by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Over $5000 in damage on a car we paid maybe $3500. The salvage title took $1000 off what the insurance company would give us so we didn't get enough to fix the car. My wife insisted we fix it rather than let the insurance company take it.

So, I headed to the junk yard and found a good bumper assembly, trunk lid, taillights, etc., all the same color. Brought it to a friend that worked at a body shop. They pulled the back end back out and installed all my parts for $500. In the end I had around $800 into it.

We live in Minnesota so this car had started to rust already in the trunk area. That meant that when they pulled the rear-end out some of the spot welds started to come apart and they stopped. We ended up with a slight wrinkle in one quarter panel but other than that it looks really good. From one side you can't even tell it was totaled (twice).

If you are in a dry area you probably would get an even better repair. I couldn't find the right color at the U-pull yard but if you could you would save even more.

If the truck still drives straight you may want to consider this option. Worse case you may get a bit of wind noise around the doors but get a few more years out of the truck.

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There has been some good advice here. A few years back we bought my wife a 2003 Alero with a salvage title as a result of some minor deer impact damage. I knew salvage cars can cause insurance issues later on but the car was an unusual car with a special dealer installed interior that my wife loved.

Shortly after getting it my wife gets rear-ended at a stop light by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Over $5000 in damage on a car we paid maybe $3500. The salvage title took $1000 off what the insurance company would give us so we didn't get enough to fix the car. My wife insisted we fix it rather than let the insurance company take it.

So, I headed to the junk yard and found a good bumper assembly, trunk lid, taillights, etc., all the same color. Brought it to a friend that worked at a body shop. They pulled the back end back out and installed all my parts for $500. In the end I had around $800 into it.

We live in Minnesota so this car had started to rust already in the trunk area. That meant that when they pulled the rear-end out some of the spot welds started to come apart and they stopped. We ended up with a slight wrinkle in one quarter panel but other than that it looks really good. From one side you can't even tell it was totaled (twice).

If you are in a dry area you probably would get an even better repair. I couldn't find the right color at the U-pull yard but if you could you would save even more.

If the truck still drives straight you may want to consider this option. Worse case you may get a bit of wind noise around the doors but get a few more years out of the truck.
Good advice, im looking at local yards now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got T ***** in my 02 tahoe! Would you look for a new one or attempt repair? If repair how would you start and where?

Fix it! 2 Doors and pillar work or replacement. If you get access to a crash book, you can get the part number for a new B-pillar and cut one out at the boneyard and replace your bad one. All this to be determined once those doors are off.

georgebuhr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
B pillar is in far enough that it should be replaced. Could it be pulled back to spec? Yes. Will it still be safe? No. B pillar is 3 layers of high strength steel. Very strong, but only likes to be bent once, then becomes brittle and weak. Proper procedure is to pull to spec on a frame rack, then cut out part and replace. Done right, this is a few thousand dollars. It can be fixed much cheaper, but consider the risk of having family driving in a now weaker structure to save some money. Used doors are fine, but you’ve got to have a good b pillar to be safe. I work in a highly reputable collision repair shop, FYI.
There are plenty of used ones rolling around out there. I agree with parting out to salvage what you have, and getting another one ready to go.

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If i were to sell it as is, everything great except the obvious, 190k miles. Whats a fair price?

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You wouldn't get much--as a whole--strictly a parts donor now, unless you part it out yourself.
Thats what i was afraid of, i cant part out where i live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep