What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got T ***** in my 02 tahoe! Would you look for a new one or attempt repair? If repair how would you start and where? 77c93e7d84118c7eb74f5e552411fd93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got T ***** in my 02 tahoe! Would you look for a new one or attempt repair? If repair how would you start and where? 77c93e7d84118c7eb74f5e552411fd93.jpg

Looks pretty bad. The pillar might be bent. If it is, I'd look for a new one. One benefit is you already know what's still good on yours, so automatic parts car, so you could buy one that has a bad motor, trans etc for cheap. Have you had a body shoo look at it yet?

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not yet went body shop. This just happened, i know the wealth of knowledge on this group is no doubt helpful to my situation.

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks pretty bad. The pillar might be bent. If it is, I'd look for a new one. One benefit is you already know what's still good on yours, so automatic parts car, so you could buy one that has a bad motor, trans etc for cheap. Have you had a body shoo look at it yet?
No sir, i have not went to a shop yet.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If any of pilars are bent it will be a coin toss. A good body shop will have a machine to pull them back to factory spec tho and more than doable to fix. Just will never be quite like new again.

Oh and also your floor pan / rock panels. Do doors open. You can find out in seconds looking at it any of that is bent. Doors are bolt ons so hopefully that is only thing.

If just doors then is a no brainer. Get doors at junkyard, paint to match bolt on. If done youself is super cheap and more than managable for at home project.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If any of pilars are bent it will be a coin toss. A good body shop will have a machine to pull them back to factory spec tho and more than doable to fix. Just will never be quite like new again.

If just doors then is a no brainer. Get doors at junkyard, paint to match bolt on. If done youself is super cheap and more than managable for at home project.

Yea, im going to see what they have to say. I know they will want to take me to cleaners. Thats why i wanted some opinions. Thanks again

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, im going to see what they have to say. I know they will want to take me to cleaners. Thats why i wanted some opinions. Thanks again

Last car I worked on was FAR worse than yours. They had to straighten the whole front end. Including unit body and frame.

Was $600...

But we pulled all the stuff for him so he just had to put it on his machine. That is the way to go if you have to pay without insurance.

However have shop look at it first then ask which parts to leave on. They may use some parts to bend the body back into shape... for instsnce they used the bumper to pull the frame rails back into shape on our car.

OP
OP
Yukonosaur

Yukonosaur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last car I worked on was FAR worse than yours. They had to straighten the whole front end. Including unit body and frame.

Was $600...

But we pulled all the stuff for him so he just had to put it on his machine. That is the way to go if you have to pay without insurance.

However have shop look at it first then ask which parts to leave on. They may for instsnce use some parts to bend the body back into shape... for instsnce they used the bumper to pull the frame raise back into shape on our car.

I may do that!

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may do that!

It only took us a couple hours to prep car for body shop. Was definately worth it and not hard to do. Fyi doors are manageble to lift off with one person but best with two.

Also disassemble your door. You will still have many good parts there. Get ziplock for each door to hold hardware and label accordingly. Never know what junkyard will yeild and may need some of that hardware to piece together a comolete door.

Fyi when a kid we bent pillar on silverado truck body guy was super nice and did a quick fix for free. Wasn't perfect but door opened and closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC