What to know before buying a 2016-2019 Tahoe LT+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 - improved entertainment operating system (Apple CarPlay)

Pretty sure 2016 is when CarPlay/Android Auto was added... Just like in Silverados. If that’s something OP is looking for, of course. CP/AA aren’t factors for everybody.

I wouldn’t be afraid of miles, as long as it has been maintained and as mentioned before, the price is in line with the miles. My wife’s Suburban had 138K when we bought it and since the price/condition/maintenance records were great, I had no issues with buying it.

AC condenser was an issue in the early models, but most of them have probably been changed by now. If not, that’s another $1K of bargaining power for you. It’s not a huge job, but could be used as a negotiating tool.

AFM is something to be aware of. Things have gotten better since 2010 when GM redesigned the valve covers, but failures still do happen. Some fail before 100K, some go well over 200K, so it’s a crapshoot. Main thing to do is to disable it asap after you buy the truck. The ultimate thing would be to remove the whole system by replacing the lifters, cam etc., but that can get costly. Cheaper methods of disabling it are as mentioned already: Range device, handheld programmer or custom tune.

Out of those I’d suggest getting a custom tune. That’s what I have doe with my Silverado and wife’s Suburban. It not only disables AFM, it also modifies many other parameters to make the truck act like a different animal. Well worth the cost. A lot of people on this site seem to prefer BlackBear. I used DiabLew tune that is a staple on one of the GM truck pickup sites since I already had Lew tune my Silverado.

Good luck with your search!

OP
OP
roadmonk

roadmonk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is gold. Thank you! I need to look up a few Tahoe acronyms, obviously....

I've driven some 2015 Tahoes at work, and I've been around this forum for about five years and I've learned that you should be very wary of the 2015 models. Lost of first year glitches, from annoying little things to major mechanical issues.

That being said I personally own a 2016 Suburban and it has been pretty trouble and quirk free. I have zero complaints.

As far as "too much" mileage, well there really isn't any such thing as long as you understand that the price of the truck will be commensurate with miles. I wouldn't be scared to buy one at anything under 100,000 and I also wouldn't shy away from one with over 100,000 miles if the price was right.

Common mechanical issues usually consist of the condenser/trans cooler unit as noted, the transmission (the 8-speeds found in the higher trim level models are more trouble prone I have heard) which fails due to torque converters breaking down. There are complaints of electrical gremlins on the 2015's and complaints of roof panel wind buffeting issues that I can't remember were specific to the Suburban or happened on the Tahoes too. The AFM lifters are prone to fail which will be a costly repair. I have disabled my AFM system via a Superchips tuner so I don't have to worry about that again. You can buy a device called a "Range AFM disabler" that is affordable and plugs into your OBD-2 port that will disable the AFM system. Some of us here value absolute reliability over a few MPG's. Some don't and would prefer to gamble with their AFM still on. Educate yourself about the system and it's flaws and you decide. Fuel injectors go bad and cause misfire issues that can masquerade as AFM issues. My truck has had three (3) injectors replaced after they caused misfires.

My truck is a "lowly" LT model that I have spent some money on partially converting to a Z71. Tow hooks, stout aluminum skid plates, a mild suspension lift and more aggressive tires. If I had to do it over again I absolutely would have held out for a Z71, because there are functional, purposeful upgrades. Bling has never been my thing and I passed up on a few LTZ models when looking because they have un-needed tech that fails and costs money to repair. Some people "need" those creature comforts, though. That's a personal decision, and the LTZ packages are very whiz-bang neat-o, but I prefer function over form. The Z71 is the only upgraded model I'd ever pay for.

Good luck!

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"buffeting issues" ... either your vehicle has it or it doesnt.

can be any of the '15 thru '20 models.
GM doesnt know how to fix it. as they have a Dell pc type approach... throw a bunch fixes & hope one works.
overall seems to be more tolerance stacking issue.

dirive it in varying road conditions & speeds from 25-75+ ... you will know if its happening ;)

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure 2016 is when CarPlay/Android Auto was added... Just like in Silverados. If that’s something OP is looking for, of course. CP/AA aren’t factors for everybody.

I wouldn’t be afraid of miles, as long as it has been maintained and as mentioned before, the price is in line with the miles. My wife’s Suburban had 138K when we bought it and since the price/condition/maintenance records were great, I had no issues with buying it.

AC condenser was an issue in the early models, but most of them have probably been changed by now. If not, that’s another $1K of bargaining power for you. It’s not a huge job, but could be used as a negotiating tool.

AFM is something to be aware of. Things have gotten better since 2010 when GM redesigned the valve covers, but failures still do happen. Some fail before 100K, some go well over 200K, so it’s a crapshoot. Main thing to do is to disable it asap after you buy the truck. The ultimate thing would be to remove the whole system by replacing the lifters, cam etc., but that can get costly. Cheaper methods of disabling it are as mentioned already: Range device, handheld programmer or custom tune.

Out of those I’d suggest getting a custom tune. That’s what I have doe with my Silverado and wife’s Suburban. It not only disables AFM, it also modifies many other parameters to make the truck act like a different animal. Well worth the cost. A lot of people on this site seem to prefer BlackBear. I used DiabLew tune that is a staple on one of the GM truck pickup sites since I already had Lew tune my Silverado.

Good luck with your search!

not to hijack the thread, but how do these tunes impact emissions for those of us that are subject to emissions inspection? In this regard, Virginia is now doing roadside inspections in highway interchanges.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to hijack the thread, but how do these tunes impact emissions for those of us that are subject to emissions inspection? In this regard, Virginia is now doing roadside inspections in highway interchanges.
They don’t impact emissions at all. They are simply tweaking certain parameters in the computers to ‘wake’ the truck up a little bit. GM leaves a lot on the table when tuning their vehicles so a simple bump up in fuel/timing/shifting etc etc etc makes for a complete difference in the drivability of the truck.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Virginia is now doing roadside inspections in highway interchanges."

The Third ***** awakens.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don’t impact emissions at all. They are simply tweaking certain parameters in the computers to ‘wake’ the truck up a little bit. GM leaves a lot on the table when tuning their vehicles so a simple bump up in fuel/timing/shifting etc etc etc makes for a complete difference in the drivability of the truck.

Yup. It’s not about emissions, it’s about making things work the way they are supposed to work and removing/disabling the nannies (torque management, AFM etc.) that have been put in place to fulfill CAFE standards.

Throttle Boss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Love my 2016 Tahoe LT. Low maintenance costs and until last week, only preventative maintenance. A/C stopped blowing cold air. Condenser failed at 95,000 miles and dumped all freon. This seems to be a common problem as reported in this forum. Condenser replaced by dealer and $1,100 later works good as new. Tahoe is a complex piece of equipment requiring disassembly so the labor was $800 and parts only $300. Driven 4 years so spread out cost is only $275/year. Fun to drive, looks good, and reliable!