What the hell does this switch do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With out starting turn key all the way off and turn it just to run and take quick pic

Then pull back on your blinker stalk to see if bright light blue light comes on

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searvice engine soon, check engine, security and high beams.
I have 2 of these bulbs, i wonder if they all take the same bulb?

Screenshot_2018-04-21-13-46-14.png

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc the dummy lights are small bulbs that solder into the board.

the large twist in ones are just the cluster backing lights for the gauges.

the cluster comes out easy, pull a corner of the trim around the cluster and dash, its all push clips, all pops off, just work your way around the dash working it free.

then you got like 4 small bolts that hold the cluster in and a plug on the back of it.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have re gained check gauges and high beams! And got rid of the running lights indicator. Need to figure out what im still missing and get some more bulbs

Check gauges only comes on for a split second when i turn the engine over

BIGDDADDI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the little switch on the left side?
Also what is pulling the the whole lever doing with my headlights? Is the switching to high beams?

I have never had trouble figuring out how headlights in a car work before

I just disable the daytime running lights by pulling the big finned deal from under the dash.

The switch that goes left / right

View attachment 197353
Left switch is your cruise control adjuster. Pulling complete lever to you switched from high beam to low beam.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your service engine soon should be coming on, then. Mines a 98, not sure when they added the “security” thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your service engine soon should be coming on, then. Mines a 98, not sure when they added the “security” thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok i need a few more bulbs. Mine is also a 98

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Security may still have been an option and not standard. If you didn't have it, it won't light up. Have you shown a flashlight in there to see all the options you have for warning lights, or read the owner's manual or taken it apart?

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have re gained check gauges and high beams! And got rid of the running lights indicator. Need to figure out what im still missing and get some more bulbs

Check gauges only comes on for a split second when i turn the engine over

If I recall, as mentioned, pulling the lever "back" slightly will "flash" your high-beams, pulling the lever back to the "click" will turn your high beams on (staying on). The turn signal lever was tasked with a lot of things in the early 90's (gone are the small silver foot button for high beams). As mentioned, setting cruise control, pushing the small switch to the middle position, then pushing the button on the end of the lever set your speed. If you tapped your brakes, your cruise control would deactivate, but you could push the small slide in (it's a momentary swith, with a spring to return it to the middle position) it would either resume your set speed, or you could use it by holding it "in" and accelerate your cruise control speed, without touching your gas pedal. The older trucks (I have no idea when the cruise control indicator light became a thing) did not have any indicator your CC was active, but you could look at the switch to see if it was in the "on" position. The turn signal lever was also tasked with your wipers, pushing the "paddle" to the dash, would activate your windshield wiper fluid/wipers. Rotating the bezel to various positions would turn on your windshield wipers with varying speeds. I think there were 5 or 6 positions, with the longest time between wipes for "mist", and increasing to constant wiping wipers (say that 10 times fast) with two speeds, fast, and hypnotic pace...

It only took cleaning the lever a couple of times with some cleaner to remove the lettering, I once did this to my cargo light switch in my old 93 Crew Cab 3500, removing it completely using some "409" cleaner on my dash. I ran right down to the dealer and bought a new button to replace it (with new lettering), and learned to never use anything harsher than water and simple green to clean anything on the dash. Now, all the stuff (cruise) is on the actual steering wheel, with buttons and indicator lights. Though my turn signal lever is still tasked with the windshield wipers (both front and back now). FWIW- I don't have my old CC Dually any longer, but miss it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent