What size tire can this Tukon run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here (did a bit of lurking) and thought I'd ask a question (certain it's been answered a million times) as a way to introduce myself. I have a 2004 Yukon XL SLT 2-wheel drive with Nivomats and tow pack. I'd like to run a 2nd set of wheels with more of an all terrain setup. I have HD rear springs and new Nivomat shock, along with fresh stock front struts. Can I get away with a stock OEM 17" x 7" wheel with a 285 /70 tire? It looks like it work out back. What about up front? Thanks for any and all info

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Folks with a similar trucks and setups will chime in with their recommendations and personal experiences.

As with any other mod, something that works of one truck is not guaranteed to work on another truck. For non-OEM wheel/tire combinations, I highly recommend that you use the wheel/tire conversion clearance app at the URL below. Using this app, you can plug in actual existing clearances with critical suspension components and the fenders for your existing wheel/tire combination, and then see what the changes in critical clearances will be with an alternate wheel/tire combination.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

LTG515

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2004 Tahoe and I’m running 285/70r17 on stock wheels. The rears clear with a little bit of rubbing on the inside fender liner during articulation due to the width. No rubbing on the actual fender though. As far as the fronts, I’m not totally sure about how they fit on a stock set up. I have a custom bumper so I have plenty of clearance so don’t have much experience with the front. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZombieHunterYukon
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Folks with a similar trucks and setups will chime in with their recommendations and personal experiences.

As with any other mod, something that works of one truck is not guaranteed to work on another truck. For non-OEM wheel/tire combinations, I highly recommend that you use the wheel/tire conversion clearance app at the URL below. Using this app, you can plug in actual existing clearances with critical suspension components and the fenders for your existing wheel/tire combination, and then see what the changes in critical clearances will be with an alternate wheel/tire combination.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Thank you for the link and excellent explanation.

OP
OP
ZombieHunterYukon
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2004 Tahoe and I’m running 285/70r17 on stock wheels. The rears clear with a little bit of rubbing on the inside fender liner during articulation due to the width. No rubbing on the actual fender though. As far as the fronts, I’m not totally sure about how they fit on a stock set up. I have a custom bumper so I have plenty of clearance so don’t have much experience with the front. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. It does help.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 285/70/17 on our denali. the rears rubbed the plastics a little when flexed, so i added a 1/4'' spacer and it just barely touches at full flex now, and i mean like one tire off the ground flex.

the front touched just a couple tiny places. nothing a heat gun cant take care of. although i am doing brake lines currently and noticed it has been lightly rubbing the wire harness in the driver wheel well, that will easily be fixed with a couple zip ties.86621796_121722625924906_406752558485340160_n.jpg 116042303_289954655546260_112382710051383941_n.jpg

OP
OP
ZombieHunterYukon
Reaction score
i have 285/70/17 on our denali. the rears rubbed the plastics a little when flexed, so i added a 1/4'' spacer and it just barely touches at full flex now, and i mean like one tire off the ground flex.

the front touched just a couple tiny places. nothing a heat gun cant take care of. although i am doing brake lines currently and noticed it has been lightly rubbing the wire harness in the driver wheel well, that will easily be fixed with a couple zip ties.View attachment 253352 View attachment 253353
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2