What Part is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Striver247

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have a 2006 z71 tahoe. It is leaking a small amount of oil on a consistent basis. Here is a picture of where it is leaking this is under the motor towards the drivers side. What part is this so I can repair or replace it? Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20221001_221344.jpg
    20221001_221344.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like the oil cooler block off plate if it's located just above the oil filter.

If you had the oil cooler option there would be 2 lines coming out of it and running towards the front of the engine.

It's a common leak point and the gasket is cheap. Two 10mm bolts hold it on.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like the oil cooler block off plate if it's located just above the oil filter.

If you had the oil cooler option there would be 2 lines coming out of it and running towards the front of the engine.

It's a common leak point and the gasket is cheap. Two 10mm bolts hold it on.
Agree, but I thought that was on the passenger side. Was the mounting side switched when I was not looking? Also, if you do go in there to seal, use a Genuine GM seal or IMO a Fel-Pro and I would not reuse that OE plate. They warp and will still leak. Use a billet plate that can be gotten for cheap at Amazon.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the hell did I think that plate was on the passenger side, on my 02?
Uh... Human error? Senior moment? Temporary transportation to another dimension where it is on the other side? You used a mirror to look at it? One too many hits to the head? You drank the wrong Koolaid? You were looking at a right hand drive Tahoe? One of the voices in your head told you it was so and you believed him?

<<<Feel free to unload on me, but I do hope it made you smile at least. You know why I could come up with those so quickly? Ask my wife and/or children...>>>

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got to thinking about it and I think I came up with how I was confused. When I was laying under my rig on the ground, I had my feet pointed to the rear and the plate was on my right and I always think of the right side of the vehicle as the passenger side and therefore I thought the plate was on the right.....or, one of the excuses you gave me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345