WHAT OIL PUMP AFTER AFM/VVT DELETE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjectLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doing an AFM and VVT delete on my 2011 Tahoe LT (5.3). Going with a BTR Stage 2 cam. Going to plug the relief valve in the oil pan. While the engine is out I want to go ahead and install a new oil pump and put a new o-ring on the pickup tube. I’ve decided I want to go with a Melling pump but I’m almost confused because I’m seeing standard volume standard pressure, standard volume high pressure and too many other combos. What is a good oil pump to run? Do I need standard or high volume or standard or high pressure?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing an AFM and VVT delete on my 2011 Tahoe LT (5.3). Going with a BTR Stage 2 cam. Going to plug the relief valve in the oil pan. While the engine is out I want to go ahead and install a new oil pump and put a new o-ring on the pickup tube. I’ve decided I want to go with a Melling pump but I’m almost confused because I’m seeing standard volume standard pressure, standard volume high pressure and too many other combos. What is a good oil pump to run? Do I need standard or high volume or standard or high pressure?
I went with the high volume pump when I did this same work on my 6.2L and it's been fine, with the exception that I did not plug the oil relief valve in the oil pan. If you plug that, I would say that the standard volume pump will be a better choice. The pressure itself is governed by a spring in the pump's outflow valve. Melling pumps typically ship with 3 different springs, but they pre-install the correct spring whether it be listed as a standard pressure or high pressure pump.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the M295 is all you really need. There's no benefit to running more volume or pressure in a street driven motor.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, you might look at what Cam Motion offers. I ran the BTR stage 2 truck cam in my 6.2 for around 6K miles before swapping it out for a Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam. The difference was night and day for both power and idle quality. I didn't like the idle chop that came with the BTR cam in daily driving like I thought I would and Cam Motion grinds their cams specific for the flow dynamics of each engine, whereas BTR grinds cams that are 'compatible' with the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2. The difference in power output with the Cam Motion cam for me was significant. I pull a 7500 lb camper and the Cam Motion cam made the difference of being able to run a higher gear and keep a higher speed on the same mountain interstate grades through West Virginia. And the Cam Motion cam sports a smooth idle, which I prefer.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1 for a standard volume pump. Plugging the valve in the oil pan (I'd also recommend plugging the towers) will make the oil system like that of a Gen3 engine, so a "Gen3 oil pump" will be fine.

UNLESS you currently have low oil pressure due to excessive bearing clearances. Which, you shouldn't be camming such a worn engine. Even still, an HV pump doesn't fix the wear, it'll just get the pressures up to prevent the Low Oil Pressure warning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel