What is this window seal called and has anyone replaced it???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already I'd suggest taking it to a good glass shop and get an estimate to do it right. It's what they do.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yes you have 2 options- have the glass replaced if you want it to look perfect but it will cost you quite a bit, I'm guessing $150-250 or use silicone after you clean the inside of that bulge and get any debris out. Silicone will seal it and then if you use some good 2" blue tape you should be able to push it down against the glass while it dries and then afterwards trim the excess off. It might come out looking nearly perfect after this. I would try silicone first and if it bothers you afterwards because it doesn't look perfect, get it replaced at an auto glass shop. I used to do auto glass and I've done it both ways.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The rubber piece is not the seal. The actual seal is under the glass. However, to professionally fix the surround bulge, you'll have to replace the entire glass - which comes with the rubber surround.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yes you have 2 options- have the glass replaced if you want it to look perfect but it will cost you quite a bit, I'm guessing $150-250 or use silicone after you clean the inside of that bulge and get any debris out. Silicone will seal it and then if you use some good 2" blue tape you should be able to push it down against the glass while it dries and then afterwards trim the excess off. It might come out looking nearly perfect after this. I would try silicone first and if it bothers you afterwards because it doesn't look perfect, get it replaced at an auto glass shop. I used to do auto glass and I've done it both ways.
thanks!

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fixed side windows are installed almost exactly in the same way the windshield is installed. Getting matching privacy glass, if the window gets broken would be the difficult issue. Best you go to a shop that installs automotive glass to get the glass resealed, you might want to do both sides to have them "zero timed" in a sense.

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s part of the glass only fix is a new window it’s vinyl coated metal pack rust

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking just get a bit of clear epoxy but you think silicone would be the right choice?

Trust everyone here when they say, use Clear Outdoor (Window/Door) Silicone.
It will seal properly
Easier to apply for a clean hidden finish
Slice it with a knife and peel it off when your new weather stripping allows.