What is this weird noise when opening/closing doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

So we did it... we bough a used Tahoe High Country yesterday and during the 24 hour test drive everything was fine.
However, yesterday for the first time I did hear this strange noise... Does anyone know what that is? This is not occuring every time but very often now, when opening/closing doors.
It seems always to happen when opening doors. Often when closing them.

I also noticed that once I get close to the car the indoor lights are turning on, together with the rear seat entertainment screens. I assume this is a desired function and the car recognizes me... but not sure.
I'm more concerned about this weird noise though. Any ideas what that might be?

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fXHmiY0TFFsVKsmScZr-xKVxq8cvaEMR/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Last edited:

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours has done that since day one. My theory is that its priming the electronic brake system.

Also steering wheel lock makes a lot of noise after the vehicle is shut off.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So that's normal? Have you showed that to someone from the dealership to get it assessed? Would be interesting to see what they say

Last edited:

Tahoe5280

Reaction score
Happy Friday!

So we did it... we bough a used Tahoe High Country yesterday and during the 24 hour test drive everything was fine.
However, yesterday for the first time I did hear this strange noise... Does anyone know what that is? This is not occuring every time but very often now, when opening/closing doors.
It seems always to happen when opening doors. Often when closing them.

I also noticed that once I get close to the car the indoor lights are turning on, together with the rear seat entertainment screens. I assume this is a desired function and the car recognizes me... but not sure.
I'm more concerned about this weird noise though. Any ideas what that might be?

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fXHmiY0TFFsVKsmScZr-xKVxq8cvaEMR/view?usp=sharing

Thanks
Not to come across as a wise guy...but I assume your High Country has auto side steps. Are you sure it is not the sound from the steps deploying and stowing?
I recall being suprised by the noise initially too once hoping into the vehicle, then it hit me it was just the steps stowing away...

May be too obvious, but ya never know.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to come across as a wise guy...but I assume your High Country has auto side steps. Are you sure it is not the sound from the steps deploying and stowing?
I recall being suprised by the noise initially too once hoping into the vehicle, then it hit me it was just the steps stowing away...

May be too obvious, but ya never know.
Our does not have the power steps and it makes the exact same sound.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So that's normal? Have you showed that to someone from the dealership to get it assessed? Would be interesting to see what they say
I have not as it has been the doing this since day one I figured that is just how they are. To add there is nothing abnormal in the way the systems operate, so nothing for them to look for. No codes, no 4x4 not engaging, no barking brake issues, etc. I really only notice it when it is parked in the garage.

So it will make the noise when you walk close and it recognizes the key, if you don't have the key and walk up to it, it will not make the noise. So that is why I theorize it priming something. Note: if the vehicle is unlocked and no key is detected, and one of the doors is opened, it also make the noise.

My Ram makes odd startup noise when I have the transfer case in 2wd, like it goes through and engages each 4x4 ratio or something, but if I leave it in 4Auto it does not make that noise.

In short, I would not worry about your ride.

That said, I may try and listen for others.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sound is the fuel pump priming, on previous models it would do it when the key was turned to start, now since 2015 and later it does it when you open the drivers door, you may also hear other things engaging like the radio or other electronics, all perfectly normal.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sound is the fuel pump priming, on previous models it would do it when the key was turned to start, now since 2015 and later it does it when you open the drivers door, you may also hear other things engaging like the radio or other electronics, all perfectly normal.
I'm glad my 09 Tahoe LTZ doesn't make any sounds until I actually put my key in the ignition...oh wait... Mine makes the funny sound like a CD is turning inside the radio when I open the door, haha. It's funny how much our Tahoe's have changed over the years!

Reaction score
I'm glad my 09 Tahoe LTZ doesn't make any sounds until I actually put my key in the ignition...oh wait... Mine makes the funny sound like a CD is turning inside the radio when I open the door, haha. It's funny how much our Tahoe's have changed over the years!
That's from the Nav disc behind the screen. My 2011 made that noise, the 2012 doesn't. It doesn't have a Nav disc, but a 30gb hard drive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya mine would do that as well, annoying. first thing I yanked out and replaced with a decent up to date radio.
zzzttt, zzttt, zzztttt all I could hear, I was like nope that's gotta go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu