What is this box/device/thing on my Tahoe??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95381B4E-850E-4773-A5EC-D980EC077F9D.jpeg I noticed some wires hanging down by the exhaust pipe the other day and slid under it to see if something came loose or whatever. Saw a mess of wiring back there that needs to be straightened out but I cant figure it out. I have 2 identical 2006 Tahoes and the other one doesnt have this box thing on it so Im guessing its some aftermarket thing, maybe somebody will recognize it and tell me what it is before I start messing with it. The wires coming out of it appear to be spliced into some of the wiring harness. In the pic its the box thing to the right of the factory wire connection under the right rear quarter panel near the exhaust pipe turnout. Thanks

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Flasher module, aftermarket. Installed by upfitter. Tells me that prior to you owning it, it had emergency lighting. Ex-police/fire vehicle? Makes the tail lights (in your case) alternate side to side.
They’re too cheap to bother removing when a car is retired from duty. Id leave it alone....but if you ever have a tail lighting issue....remove that module first, revert back to factory wiring, before you spend any time/money diagnosing.

OP
OP
S

slowride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick reply. It was a highway patrol vehicle so I guess that makes sense. Not a very clean install though with that mess of wires hanging there. Ill just leave it alone then and try to tape the wires up better or something

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No worries fam!
Most (but not all) emergency vehicle upfits are done by the lowest-bid vendor. Vehicle is built up by an installer, as opposed to a mechanic. Self-tapping screws, double-sided tape, zip-ties, etc. it’s hard to look at, sucks to fix.
Side note: cops are very leery of guys that put in effort to make their ex-cop car seem ‘official’.
Yea you could apply 12v to one wire, to make the taillights flash again. But don’t be that guy