What is the sticky wax on frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leon00000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just notice some scratch on frame wax (that sticky thing), probable happened during jack it. Looking to touch up but i called some dealers, and they said it is a spray undercoating, but no longer for sale. Any recommendation for undercoating? I live in Toronto, Canada. Winter is crazy here, i don't want it rust too early.
thank you!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything your local auto parts store sells thats called an undercoating. the factory under coating is easily scratched and unless your going to recoat the whole underside with a second layer it won't really matter much. just driving along with some of the debris still on the road from ice and snow is probably scratching it in places you haven't even noticed.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Not all undercoating is good. The rubberized crap traps moisture and is shown in lots of real world evaluations to be potentially harmful.
Fluid Film or WoolWax are two readily available to the consumer coatings that are waxy oils somewhat like you have. Oils and wax treatments are self healing also, they’ll warm up and flow to recover a scratched off bit.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Cosmoline is the absolute best product to apply in the critical areas of the underbody. As it heats up in the Summer, it literally applies itself again by slowing melting into areas that were missed.

Very common and very effective for old skool Armed forces to keep corrosion off weapons in storage or shipped overseas. Good product for up North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had all my factory undercoating removed and had a place redo it with their stuff. Much better.

Before and After:

6378F4E3-C80F-4BBA-9D9D-5FEA997783D4.jpeg BC0DC8ED-D697-4F8B-AE33-D6C03C7AC649.jpeg

rust.jpeg rust.jpeg

Last edited:

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woops that was a 2015, didn't know I was in 2021+(wish I was though, haha)

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LPS-3 another waxy type, good for spot or replacement parts. I never found a good source for Cosmolene.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best match I found is Daubert Chemical NOX-Rust X-121B.

On my 2016 it was a perfect match. On the 2021 the shade is off a little, but still seems to match the general characteristics of the factory undercoat. I like it is available in a spray can. Info can be found here.

Otherwise, for bare metal machined parts or others, I like Amsoil MP-HD.

Both are wax-like and flow, self heal, and protect associated parts. The Daubert is black, the Amsoil is brownish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons