What Is The Contraption Above The Oil Filter???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a recall on this? I remember one about oil spraying onto the exhaust causing a fire or something like that.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I tried doing this not during an oil change will I make a mess?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I tried doing this not during an oil change will I make a mess?

More of a mess than if you did. Or, let it sit for a few days for all the oil to drain down. But, the filter might actually keep it in the block. I'd wait until it's due for a change.

RogerK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings,

What is the device that is installed above the oil filter? It is bolted to the driver side of the engine with at least two bolts (that I can see). I ask because it is leaking oil and I need to replace the gasket.

I already tried to tighten up the two visible bolts but that did not help. If I knew what it was and even had an exploded view of the engine (I cant find it on the internet) my next question would be how hard is it to R&R that contraption?

My hope is that this is THE (as in the only) source of the oil leak that is somewhere in the back of the engine. High above the oil pan gasket is clean.

Assuming that there another leak and that leak is coming from the rear main seal how much of a pain in the asset is it to R&R the rear main seal? On the "F-Bomb scale of 1-10 with a "1 F-Bomb" being an easy squeezy oil change to a "10 F-Bomb" job being a major knuckle busting dropping an F-Bomb every minute of a 5 day affair how hard is the project?

I have a two post lift and a tranny jack.

The truck is a GMC Yukon 1500 4 Wheel Drive (start with a level 2 F-Bomber right there)...

THANKS!!!
Oil cooler dummy plate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094