What Is The Contraption Above The Oil Filter???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007YukonXL

Reaction score
Greetings,

What is the device that is installed above the oil filter? It is bolted to the driver side of the engine with at least two bolts (that I can see). I ask because it is leaking oil and I need to replace the gasket.

I already tried to tighten up the two visible bolts but that did not help. If I knew what it was and even had an exploded view of the engine (I cant find it on the internet) my next question would be how hard is it to R&R that contraption?

My hope is that this is THE (as in the only) source of the oil leak that is somewhere in the back of the engine. High above the oil pan gasket is clean.

Assuming that there another leak and that leak is coming from the rear main seal how much of a pain in the asset is it to R&R the rear main seal? On the "F-Bomb scale of 1-10 with a "1 F-Bomb" being an easy squeezy oil change to a "10 F-Bomb" job being a major knuckle busting dropping an F-Bomb every minute of a 5 day affair how hard is the project?

I have a two post lift and a tranny jack.

The truck is a GMC Yukon 1500 4 Wheel Drive (start with a level 2 F-Bomber right there)...

THANKS!!!

Reaction score
I think that's the lines going to and from the oil cooler, so probably called something like the oil cooler adapter plate?

And if you don't have an oil cooler, then it's the oil cooler block-off plate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:signs75:

Gotta be for the oil cooler- either the hose manifold of the block-off if yours doesn't have the cooler. They're notorious for leaking with age.

Hose manifold:

oilcoolerhousing-vi.jpg

Block-off:

a2b0c3bc5fb31056c6ce912b22f13a5d.jpg

You'll need the gasket for whichever you have, as they are different.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If is the block off plate, I heard they can warp over time and still leak with a new seal/gasket. On my 2002 LT I had a block off plate with no oil cooler. I bought a billet block off plate at Amazon and worked fine. The only way to fix, if you have the cooler, is a new seal/gasket or if that plate is warped as well, will need a whole new oil cooler line manifold assembly.

OP
OP

2007YukonXL

Reaction score
THANKS guys!!! That is the answer I was looking for. The SUV does not have an oil cooler so I had no idea what it was (was thinking an oil pressure relief valve).

I will replace the gasket and report back.

03_GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the lines for your oil cooler. Easy fix. Also the hex plug on the side likes to leak as well. Get some gasket maker and put it lightly on the threads of that and then tighten it up. Just make sure to not use too much cause you don’t want that stuff getting in your oil. Since you have two lines you’ll want the felpro gasket with two holes. I also added a ver small amount of gasket maker to keep it from leaking ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I bought the billet block off plate for mine just in case and was going to install anyway. I took the old one off and cleaned up and then put it flat on a piece of glass. You could see the warp in the center. Billet block completely flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts