What have you taken a chance on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cycho

Reaction score
That's considered taking a chance? I must be the riskiest sumbitch on the face of the earth. The least I've ever started with is 113K miles. Newest one was 9 years old.

EDIT: Irony being that I took a chance that I could deal with an SSV. No. Shopping again.
If I paid a dollar for it I would not consider that taking a chance but $26,000 base, $31,000 out the door for something 6 years old with 71,000 miles on it was taking a huge chance for me. I haven't bought used in a long, long time. Oh and that's $31,000 CASH. I don't know about you but that takes a lot of skimping and saving, a lot. Money that was earmarked to help pay off our retirement home. We were set until my wife totalled out her HHR. :patriot:

cycho

Reaction score
So my wife had a flat tire last week and asked to take my Tahoe to run some errands. Ended up getting hit by a drunk driver. She's mostly okay, not too beat up, but my 08 Tahoe was totaled. I ended up pulling the trigger on a 2011 Z71 with 70k miles last night and it has that exact same damn issue with the broken door handle/arm rest that I didn't notice until today. No idea what to do, I never saw it in my old 08 Tahoe (and that one was up to 145k miles).
First off I am glad to hear that she was not too beat up and thank your lucky stars for good old American steel! Yeah I didn't notice the door handle crack/break, rotted tires, cracked and floppy dash, and a few other things. But then again the Salesperson told me that they (a reputable dealer) spend two days perfroming a 122 point safety inspection and a full dealer prep that includes fixing everything they find wrong before putting any vehicle on the lot. So, after a quick look and a drive around the block we got them to $26,000 from the asking price of $32,450 figuring all was well.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I paid a dollar for it I would not consider that taking a chance but $26,000 base, $31,000 out the door for something 6 years old with 71,000 miles on it was taking a huge chance for me. I haven't bought used in a long, long time. Oh and that's $31,000 CASH. I don't know about you but that takes a lot of skimping and saving, a lot. Money that was earmarked to help pay off our retirement home. We were set until my wife totalled out her HHR. :patriot:
Yeah, but this is 'Merica. Buy what you want, file bankruptcy, fall down in Walmart and sue. Live the high life.

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured this could be a good thread to get a discussion going.

So recently I turned 200K and I thought to myself, wow that's a lot of miles and I've replaced a lot along the way, but one thing stands out.

In Jan 2016 I needed front hubs, and funds were low so I took a chance on a set of hubs from Detroit Axle on eBay. I paid $106 for the pair shipped to my door. I installed them no problem, fit perfect.

Well that was two years and 55K miles ago...they've held up great! Original plan was to hope to get 10K out of them and it would be Summer and I could buy Moog or something else but hell, I took a chance on this and it worked out in my favor.

As far as what didn't...I bought one of those $5 USB chargers for the cigarette lighter from a gas station...it started smoking when I was charging my phone. So I recommend going with something like Apple or Samsung for that lol.

Anyone have any other things for their truck that they took a chance on and it worked out...or maybe it didn't?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171199732864
Got a 05 hoe in nashville with 200k, radiator/at connectors bad, dash lights come and go ( was told this was a chevy thing) seems like a lot of backlash on 2wd diffi, weirdest thing is rock stuck between voltage reg and alt cooling fins. Thought i knew every thing about cars. Anyone have a clue?. Oh yeah my stupid drivers side hvac actuator is posessed and is brand new.

omandave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just took a chance on some HID retrofit Headlamps. I purchased them from:

https://www.hidretrofitkit.com/cust...rolet-tahoe-bi-xenon-hid-retrofit-headlights/

They are associated with "Vanquish Auto"... so I was a bit more trusting, based on other "lighting" posts around our forum. Currently on sale, and free shipping.
I thought it was about time to pull the trigger on this upgrade for my 2009 Suburban. At $607.75... and the cost of parts, labor, my personal "mess up" factor... and did I mention kiddos that are curious with Dad's stuff... I felt the price was right and the look is what I was anting to build someday too. (picture is from their webpage) as an added bonus, "they" will be doing all of the alignment for the build. I just have to aim them once installed.

I am waiting for them to ship out still so the Fruits of their labor (alng with a little of mine) is still going to take place in the future.

I preferred this package deal as it included the Bixenon (read Quad 4 high beams) projector in the low beam location and in essence it should be plug and play. (or close to it...) This setup also uses the original D2S bulb versus a "rebased" bulb. So I am optimistic that I won't be blinding people.

I Bought a used 2011 Chevy Volt and found that the previous owner installed a Morimoto HID kit. I believe that they were retrofitted...
Being inspired by my Volts lighting, I replaced our Mazda3 (Kids' Car) Sedan halogens with the Mazda OEM xenon Headlamps, (thank you Ebay...)
Well with the roadtrip season coming up I thought lets make it 3 for 3... so trigger pulled.

Time will tell..

Cheers!

2007-2014-chevrolet-chevy-tahoe-bixenon-hid-retrofit-projector-.jpg

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured this could be a good thread to get a discussion going.

So recently I turned 200K and I thought to myself, wow that's a lot of miles and I've replaced a lot along the way, but one thing stands out.

I wouldn't consider 200K a lot of miles. I don't buy them until they have about 100K. At 200K, I put in new spark plugs and hoses.

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe 170,391 miles on the odo, I’ve taken multiple chances with this car since 2017, I’ve payed about 11k in repairs for the same thing to happen AGAIN and AGAIN (not counting the times I was scammed out of my money). I recently rebuilt the engine, plasti-dipped the wheels (which started peeling In the corner of the wheels) and I’m about to order some LED low beams and some upgraded LTZ wheels. I’m expecting about 3 to 4 more years out of the Tahoe then I’m moving on..

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe 170,391 miles on the odo, I’ve taken multiple chances with this car since 2017, I’ve payed about 11k in repairs for the same thing to happen AGAIN and AGAIN (not counting the times I was scammed out of my money). I recently rebuilt the engine, plasti-dipped the wheels (which started peeling In the corner of the wheels) and I’m about to order some LED low beams and some upgraded LTZ wheels. I’m expecting about 3 to 4 more years out of the Tahoe then I’m moving on..
sounds like you need to learn more about how to fix it. that is what I did when i got my first car i learn how to fix it my self

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B