What grease should be used for grease zerks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never really thought about it, but I've been using either EP moly grease or multi purpose lithium grease from O'Reilly's Masterpro brand.

The stuff's got a black color to it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never really thought about it, but I've been using either EP moly grease or multi purpose lithium grease from O'Reilly's Masterpro brand.

The stuff's got a black color to it.
Not to be that wise-guy, but... Depends...

You can use high-temp grease in low-temp locations, but you can't use low-temp grease in a high-temp location.

I always went with a high quality red, high-temp like this one from Valvoline...

or in the tub...

On sale for half-price!!!
$3.29 for 14 oz. grease gun tube
$3.99 for 1 lb. tub.

Gotta get me some...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just grab a tube of the best stuff at walmart, I like the marine grade lithium myself, a tube will last you a long time

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGLI EP-2, 3percent moly Black. Do not use on white metals. Steels only. Thats why theres Red EP2.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Amsoil polymeric chassis grease, #2

IMO, ball joints should get something with moly in it. Low speed, high load, is a perfect use case for this stuff.

Also IMO, any grease is better than no grease. A dry joint will fail very quickly. I wouldn't get too hung up on it - just grease regularly and sleep easy. I do mine every oil change. ~half pump in each of the fittings. Too much is apt to blow out the dust seals, then you're worse off than you were if you never touched it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan