What goes here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a factory brake controller? I had read in other posts that it couldn't be done...but it's odd that the wiring would be there? It would be cool if it was an easy swap though.
If I’m not mistaken, the factory controller tied into the vehicles computers. That’s what makes it not an option to add later and why the wiring is there for an aftermarket one.

Would be nice though. On my 2016 F150, I was able to buy an OEM controller, plug it into the harness connector behind the dash and have the dealer flash the truck to tell it it now has a controller.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a factory brake controller? I had read in other posts that it couldn't be done...but it's odd that the wiring would be there? It would be cool if it was an easy swap though.
You can add an aftermarket brake controller and use the plug-in harness that is provided with the vehicle when it is new. You just make the connections to the brake controller, plug it in, and you're DONE. No modification to the factory wiring is required.

Art Contoni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've seen is factory brake controls can not be added if it did not come with the option.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've seen is factory brake controls can not be added if it did not come with the option.
I think they can be added after the fact as all of the wiring should be the same but then it would have to be programmed into the vehicle to enable the features and display on the gauge cluster which likely costs $$$$$ to use GM's proprietary programming software, in addition to purchase the dash components and controls and installation of these parts as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcuevas9026