What do you clean your tools with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I don’t post much but I frequently lurk the forums for some of my repairs. So I appreciate everyone and their input!

however today I had an emergency repair for a friend. Hub assembly on his 2003 avalanche broke off. Cv joint broke and the grease was everywhere... so you know the tools are a mess.

So the real question is. What do you guys do to clean your sockets? Does anyone soak them in dawn and water and let them sit? Is there a cleaner I can buy? Or do we do it the old fashion way and scrub each tool down and dry it? Lol.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use brake cleaner or equivalent to clean any tools that don't have any rubber or any other non-metal components within them. It cuts grease very quickly and effectively, and it evaporates very quickly off the tools.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Brake clean if needed but I have just used my shop towels for years. Metal and grease and grime are fine with each other and just need a wipe. Other diag tools and electrical, now that needs care.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner it is. I’ll just have to take some time out to wipe them down. I don’t mind the dirt. Obviously a dirty tool is a used tool. But I hate starting a job with filthy tools.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner it is. I’ll just have to take some time out to wipe them down. I don’t mind the dirt. Obviously a dirty tool is a used tool. But I hate starting a job with filthy tools.

I would also recommend that you either use gloves when handling brake cleaner in that manner to clean tools, or wash your hands immediately after cleaning the tools, as prolonged exposure to brake cleaner is not all that good for your skin. :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As a kid I learned from my mom that all cast iron skillets should be cooked in and then just wipe clean with a clotch and leave a thin film of grease in the skillet so it will cure and also not rust over time. Same with tools. I leave some of my work dirt and grime on them to protect them. Thanks George.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As a kid I learned from my mom that all cast iron skillets should be cooked in and then just wipe clean with a clotch and leave a thin film of grease in the skillet so it will cure and also not rust over time. Same with tools. I leave some of my work dirt and grime on them to protect them. Thanks George.
Love cooking in my cast iron pans!