What Do Other People in My Situation Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockAuto

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gaining insights from a relative handful of anonymous product reviews requires patience and skill at reading between the lines. Anonymous reviews of replacement auto parts are even sketchier. There are just too many parts and too many vehicle models to ever hope to get a meaningful number of useful reviews for any one part. RockAuto may have ten alternators with a choice of three amperage outputs that fit just one truck. Reviews of broad part types (alternators, thermostats...) and brands (ACDelco, Stant...) without any specific make, year, model, engine connections are likely to be nothing but vague opinions and biases.

RockAuto's heart icons (Heart.png) turn the extreme specificity of replacement auto parts into an advantage! A heart icon next to a part means it was ordered most frequently and returned least frequently for a specific vehicle. This is actual data from ALL customers facing similar repairs on the same vehicle. That is what makes heart icons great. They are based on data that automatically reflects the myriad things ALL customers purchasing that part for that vehicle have taken into account.

HeartsSept19Horiz.png

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the concept, as long as the customer seeing it understands that the heart does not mean that customers who previously purchased the product like the product better than other available products.

It simply means that they had no overriding reason to return the product, relative to other product purchases, for whatever reasons.

I am a frequent flyer at Rock Auto, and I've been more than pleased with the products that I have purchased from them for multiple vehicles.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how the title fits the thread other than getting us to look at it. Replies vs views may be minimal. On that note it’s a great benefit if buyers know what it means.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how the title fits the thread other than getting us to look at it. Replies vs views may be minimal. On that note it’s a great benefit if buyers know what it means.

I can see the connection, albeit tenuous and vague, between the thread title and the post. Basically, they are pointing out that when a I am looking for a part, how do I find out what direction other people in my situation have gone with and what parts have they most commonly purchased. That being said, a brief disclaimer that explains the methodology of assigning hearts is helpful.

Otherwise I would assume it is like Amazon where they put Amazon Recommended, or whatever it is they tag a item with and that just happens to be the item that Amazon prefers you buy because it gives them the best return on your money or they have too many in stock.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shows herd mentality.

I can't even order from Rock Auto since they won't account for local taxes in my state and won't ship to my city. Lost customer.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
There was a neat little write up on the heart system in the last newsletter. I'm sure this is what spurred the post. I, for one, value it because it accounts for returns and warrantied stuff along with buying trends. The article used an 05 mustang as an example. When the 05 is new, the hearts trend towards performance parts, as people are upgrading their new sports car. After a while, they may turn towards economy stuff as most folks are squeezing the last few miles out of them. Then, the few 05s left are becoming people's prized heirloom rides, and the popular purchases may head back to the upgrade speed shop stuff. This is where the thread title comes in, also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts