What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to feel my way around here. OBS, Original Body Style? GMT400 ???

First 72 hours or so of ownership has been discovery and exploration, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't and what things are supposed to do. Then ordering a few things to make my mark on it.

Just hope I didn't make a mistake. Bought my two current cars sight unseen. Drove hours to get them, then drove them hours back home. That was 20 years ago and they both still run.

Bought this one sight unseen, but I had a local go to look it over some and test drive it first. Then paid to have it shipped. If it last another 10 years, it'll probably have outlasted me.

I don't need a money pit and hope this won't turn into one. This is my first 'truck' of any kind and it's going to take some getting used to. It's a little longer and wider than my Taurus wagon and I was concerned about judging distances when turning and parking, but it hasn't been too bad.

Neighbor had a Silverado PU I looked at, but the trans was shot and had a number of other problems that would have been too expensive to fix.
Hi and welcome to the forum from me in New Zealand.
Woul love to see some photos of your new rig!
Post em up n get to know a few of the Fella's on here. Heaps of knowledge and people who are happy to help where they can! :D

Last edited:

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out my upper control arms and tie rod ends. Backyard mechanic said he didn't have the press tool to lower ball joints, idler and pitman arms. Truck drives 90% better since I got it aligned but pretty sure I need a steering gear. The toe is no longer eating up my inner tire so that's a relief. Shop wants almost 750 to do the ball joints:mad: and I'm supplying the ball joints.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out my upper control arms and tie rod ends. Backyard mechanic said he didn't have the press tool to lower ball joints, idler and pitman arms. Truck drives 90% better since I got it aligned but pretty sure I need a steering gear. The toe is no longer eating up my inner tire so that's a relief. Shop wants almost 750 to do the ball joints:mad: and I'm supplying the ball joints.
They are ripping you!
I got 1 of mine done for about $150 here in N.Z which is around $75 U.S.

You should have a look around for the ball joint press kit.
I bet you could buy that for a third of what this mech is trying to pinch from you!

Best of luck.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are ripping you!
I got 1 of mine done for about $150 here in N.Z which is around $75 U.S.

You should have a look around for the ball joint press kit.
I bet you could buy that for a third of what this mech is trying to pinch from you!

Best of luck.
Car technicians, as they are now called, charge 150 an hour in NJ. 4 hours of labor and another 100 for the 4 wheel alignment. I just have to find a backyard mechanic who has a press. My guy changed everything I mentioned and brake pads for 300.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Rock Auto? Several here, lowers and uppers, but not sure which part you need:

Only lowers they have are for RWD, unless I'm missing something. I got new bushings for the lower control arm, but again my mechanic said they have to be pressed in.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the 12 CD changer mount and is the wiring in place for it?