What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove Emeralda a bit today (Esmeralda without the s due to the Emerald green paint). Stopped by a few shops to get some quotes. One shop wanted $570 to replace the pins and rollers in both front doors. Another quoted $240 for the same job and couldn't understand why the first was so high. BUT, neither really wants to do it. Too small of a job for them due to the high volume of collision work and custom paint orders. Second shop has a Dodge Viper and a few other equally high end models in their lobby on display.

They suggested a mechanic, but the three I went to say they don't do that.

Upholstery shop quoted just under $500 to do the headliner. They say the whole 'board' needs to come out which means removing all of the side plastic trim, coat hooks, courtesy lamps, HVAC controls, etc. Said I could save a bit if I did all of that and just brought them the board. Not sure I want to try that.

Nobody wants to try to touch up the clear coat. They say the panels needs to be stripped to bare metal, primed, painted color, then clear coated. One casually said $2,500 plus.

Umm, no. I'll be looking into fine sanding and rubbing compound.

Fielding a couple of inquiries to shadetree guys that were mentioned.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clear coat on mine is shot on the hood and roof. I was quoted 1200 to have just those painted. 4000 for the top half of the truck or 7000 for the entire truck. I only went to one place so far though and they are considered on of the best in town. I keep thinking I am going to try another place, but I am so far away from being able to have anything done I don't go. Most places around here are more into the insurance jobs.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't be paying that much either. If I can't find somebody to spot it, I guess I'll have to try it myself. I have a couple of less visible spots on the roof I can practice on.

Headliner guy said I could save some money if I pulled the plastic trim bits. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get into that. Started working on a different task that involved pulling a couple of plastic bits and somehow I found myself with most everything removed and the liner partially hanging loose. Oh well. Went ahead and called the guy back. Have that job scheduled for next week now.

Exhaust had been modified somehow and they used stuff that rots in water. Got referred to a muffler guy. Turns out when he does custom work, he keeps the factory stuff he cuts off. The stuff that doesn't rot when wet. Somehow he just happens to have a factory cut off for this vehicle. So, that's scheduled for next week too.

Cleaned up some more or the rat's nest of trailer wiring.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Headlight assemblies in post 6,992 cost me about $80 and really dressed up the front view in my opinion.

I need to do something with the frame rails on the sides of mine. I was just thinking of painting them black, but you have me wondering.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Headlight assemblies in post 6,992 cost me about $80 and really dressed up the front view in my opinion.

I need to do something with the frame rails on the sides of mine. I was just thinking of painting them black, but you have me wondering.
I hit any large scale rust with a metal scraper and wire wheel. Brush or spray Corroseal rust inhibiter on the rust. Then I spray matte or satin black to give it a more OEM look.BA737DCE-994F-4882-B37A-7B13BE959B70.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts