What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did you work for in the patch? Were you a 3rd party or did you work for an energy company?
I worked for 2 different oil companies - Burlington Resources and Continental. For payroll, I worked as an employee of a contractor called Tooke Rockies, out of Dickinson, ND, but the oil companies always specified who they wanted onsite so I stayed busy, thankfully.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was chewing on putting the escalade steering wheel on there, since it has the wood trim. I dunno.

What forum would I put the DIY in? 2007-14 Tahoe > Interior?

Or is there a separate area for DIY's?
Where did you get your black wheel from? Mine has a well worn rubber with a hideous cover and would love a change.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked for 2 different oil companies - Burlington Resources and Continental. For payroll, I worked as an employee of a contractor called Tooke Rockies, out of Dickinson, ND, but the oil companies always specified who they wanted onsite so I stayed busy, thankfully.
Good deal. I want to say I did some jobs for Continental when I was in OK. But, I may be wrong.

Did you start off mud logging / catching samples and work your way up? Or did you have a different path?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I want to say I did some jobs for Continental when I was in OK. But, I may be wrong.

Did you start off mud logging / catching samples and work your way up? Or did you have a different path?
Yup. First job out of college with my geology degree was mudlogging, but that only lasted for a few months before I was doing the wellsite geologist role. I also started writing software in my spare time on the rig to automate data capture such as ROP, total gas, chromatograph from the analog instruments, and added in the inclination/azimuth at the bit. It allowed us to plot them all alongside each other and play with the scale to make it infinitely faster and easier to make decisions about steering the bit. Prior to that, it was all manual data capture and pen-and-ink plotting for the geologic data, and for a computer nerd just out of college that was unacceptable to me. ;) Ended up showing the program to a friend of mine over dinner one night who worked for a software company, and they hired me 2 weeks later.

I miss the work and the people, but not the life.

How did you find your way out?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. First job out of college with my geology degree was mudlogging, but that only lasted for a few months before I was doing the wellsite geologist role. I also started writing software in my spare time on the rig to automate data capture such as ROP, total gas, chromatograph from the analog instruments, and added in the inclination/azimuth at the bit. It allowed us to plot them all alongside each other and play with the scale to make it infinitely faster and easier to make decisions about steering the bit. Prior to that, it was all manual data capture and pen-and-ink plotting for the geologic data, and for a computer nerd just out of college that was unacceptable to me. ;) Ended up showing the program to a friend of mine over dinner one night who worked for a software company, and they hired me 2 weeks later.

Small world. I learned the bare rudiments of well log data analysis from my college girlfriend, a petroleum engineer. I was even a member of SPE for a few years after graduation, but my career took me in a different direction.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I briefly considered working in the oil industry and saw they had a need for people in places like north dakota and I saw the weather patterns for places like that and that thought went away pretty quickly. Same thing happened when I worked for Con-agra they closed the plant here and laid everyone off out of the blue and I was like WFT? and asked if I could work somewhere else as it's huge company and the guy said I can transfer you to north dakota :boxed: nope, took the severance and that was my last job been self employed since.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is cool that you were able to move quickly. I've met countless guys that have those degrees, catch samples and they basically do that for years or until they quit. Every now and then you'll meet one that has a clear goal in mind of how they will move up.

Pen and ink plotting. Dang. I can't say I've ever seen that. Glad you saw a need and were able to capitalize on it.

My way out, that is a work in progress. The wife threatened to divorce me if I went back to the rig, so I quit. Ended up divorced anyways but I don't regret the extra time I get with my kids. Finished my degree (programming) last year. I've had a couple offers the past year for oil field jobs like remote operations for drilling etc but they were out of state and I won't leave my kids. I'm starting an IT internship in a month - I'm thinking perhaps network administration. Seems stable and good growth projections for the next decade. We'll see.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is cool that you were able to move quickly. I've met countless guys that have those degrees, catch samples and they basically do that for years or until they quit. Every now and then you'll meet one that has a clear goal in mind of how they will move up.

Pen and ink plotting. Dang. I can't say I've ever seen that. Glad you saw a need and were able to capitalize on it.

My way out, that is a work in progress. The wife threatened to divorce me if I went back to the rig, so I quit. Ended up divorced anyways but I don't regret the extra time I get with my kids. Finished my degree (programming) last year. I've had a couple offers the past year for oil field jobs like remote operations for drilling etc but they were out of state and I won't leave my kids. I'm starting an IT internship in a month - I'm thinking perhaps network administration. Seems stable and good growth projections for the next decade. We'll see.
For me it was all relationships. I was out there from '94-'99 when the rig counts were at historic lows and the money was awful ($300/day for a lead geologist and $75/day for a mudlogger). So much so that almost everyone got out to work for their brother-in-law, went back to ranching, driving truck, whatever. But I find that times like that are the best times to double-down and show people that you're gonna show up every day and work like hell, keep a smile on your face no matter what, and help other people out. People see it and they start helping you out - usually without you even knowing it. I knew a lot of guys who just hung around doing the minimum every day and they got stuck.

If your wife wouldn't support you in your work, it's good you got out. You dodged a bullet over the long haul. Tech can be a great career. If I could give anyone advice, it's to find some aspect of it that you love and just chase it down. And you know what that is when you find yourself thinking about it every day. For me, I just loved figuring shit out and learning to write code helped me combine what I already knew about geology and computers with solving real-world problems. I was a total hack but I got the job done by spending time in front of the screen and reading books every time I got stuck. The growth opportunities right now are in things like data science, chatbots, and AI.

I'm an industry analyst now (got tired of the rat race of running product teams in Silicon Valley and a marketing org in Germany) so I do a lot of research, writing and public speaking these days for a think tank. I'm always happy to help a brother out. PM me and we can chat if I can be of any help to you.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small world. I learned the bare rudiments of well log data analysis from my college girlfriend, a petroleum engineer. I was even a member of SPE for a few years after graduation, but my career took me in a different direction.
A person with strong well log analysis skills and a degree in rocks could make a fine living as a wildcatter or even a consultant back in the day. I have a buddy I worked with back then who stayed with it and started a small geologic consulting firm in Casper just before oil prices jumped and the money came back into the industry. He's a multi-millionaire now.

Small world indeed. What are you doing now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods