What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided that while i'm down there, go back to the front diff fill plug bolt and noticed after cleaning rust off of it that it's completely rounded :)
Will have to figure out how to get it out, but that's for another series of "how messed up is messed up".
Probably get myself a welder, weld a big nut on that rounded bolt and get it out.
Or you could do what I did and take it to a locally-owned quick-lube shop and have them change the front diff fluid for you. The mechanic came into the waiting room when he was done with a big smile, holding the old plug and the tool they use to get them off with when they're rounded. He said they always keep spares in stock because it's such a common issue for them. $75 and 20 minutes and I was out the door. I even had time to stop for a donut and coffee on the way home. :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
140mph run to the border shook something loose perhaps? :driver:
mmmm, no I saw 2 spots a couple days ago and looked then and couldn't find anything and couldn't really determine what was on the pavement because it was dry and rusty looking and thought maybe the kids had spilled something but it was wet this this morning when I came back from dropping the kids off at school and confirmed it is oil. It has to be something up higher than what I can see from the side. I'm thinking oil filter or I could have a oil cooler adapter leak, maybe it's going around? lol

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mmmm, no I saw 2 spots a couple days ago and looked then and couldn't find anything and couldn't really determine what was on the pavement because it was dry and rusty looking and thought maybe the kids had spilled something but it was wet this this morning when I came back from dropping the kids off at school and confirmed it is oil. It has to be something up higher than what I can see from the side. I'm thinking oil filter or I could have a oil cooler adapter leak, maybe it's going around? lol

You should see the leaks mine leave. :(

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the oil block off broken bolt out with @89Suburban technique, thank you! :)

Tried drilling with angle drill attachment but it's almost impossible to get in there at right angle due to tight squeeze and the only bit that fits was from ez-out and it couldn't drill the bolt at all.
Couldn't squeeze anything else in there so decided to go with angle grinder with flex shaft.
Had to cut a little piece to the side of the bolt, away from oil tube holes, but finally got the bolt out.

Put in some Red silicone, new bolts and everything back together.
Added some extra oil that leaked out and everything seems smooth, no leaks so far.

Decided that while i'm down there, go back to the front diff fill plug bolt and noticed after cleaning rust off of it that it's completely rounded :)
Will have to figure out how to get it out, but that's for another series of "how messed up is messed up".
Probably get myself a welder, weld a big nut on that rounded bolt and get it out.

Good job man! Victory!

Actually that was @justchecking 's idea, I just got behind him and helped push it along. :)

Also,

I can vouch for this welder, it kicks ass:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine leaves a puddle under it everywhere I go… but it’s less than half a quart between oil changes so what do I care?
I live in a HOA I hate them just as much I would start getting letters in the mail and can't park in the garage so I have no choice but to fix it anyway.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil block off broken bolt out with @89Suburban technique, thank you! :)

Tried drilling with angle drill attachment but it's almost impossible to get in there at right angle due to tight squeeze and the only bit that fits was from ez-out and it couldn't drill the bolt at all.
Couldn't squeeze anything else in there so decided to go with angle grinder with flex shaft.
Had to cut a little piece to the side of the bolt, away from oil tube holes, but finally got the bolt out.

Put in some Red silicone, new bolts and everything back together.
Added some extra oil that leaked out and everything seems smooth, no leaks so far.

Congrats,any pics of the cut?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled the 2012 out of the garage for the first time in a couple of months, washed it and filled it with gas for an upcoming camping trip this weekend. We keep it garaged when we're not using it for camping duty in the hope that it will last forever. It's a dry country truck (Colorado and New Mexico) until we moved to Virginia. Always garaged so it's in like-new condition.